Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have a Surface Pro 3, which I am delighted with, running Windows 10, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192. It is approximately 18 months old, all updates have been applied. There are no viruses etc.

The machine has been working perfectly until about two weeks ago. On occasions when I boot up, approximately 50%, both the USB mouse and keyboard mouse go a little crazy, becoming uncontrollable, and I see circles very briefly flash on the screen. If I switch off by swiping down the screen or restart from the menu the problem is resolved until the next boot when there is a 50/50 chance it will happen. I get this behaviour both with the keyboard attached and in tablet mode. I have photo recognition switched on. If I chose to log in with my six digit pin I am only able to enter four digits.

I'd appreciate any pointers people may have. My only thought is liquid has come in contact with the machine but I'm 99% certain this has not happened.. I do have the option to reinstall Windows 10 with a few clicks and the machine will do it for me. I thought it better to ask the question before I take this step.

Thanks

Tin Pot

Guru
I have a Surface Pro 3, which I am delighted with, running Windows 10, Version 1709, OS Build 16299.192. It is approximately 18 months old, all updates have been applied. There are no viruses etc.

The machine has been working perfectly until about two weeks ago. On occasions when I boot up, approximately 50%, both the USB mouse and keyboard mouse go a little crazy, becoming uncontrollable, and I see circles very briefly flash on the screen. If I switch off by swiping down the screen or restart from the menu the problem is resolved until the next boot when there is a 50/50 chance it will happen. I get this behaviour both with the keyboard attached and in tablet mode. I have photo recognition switched on. If I chose to log in with my six digit pin I am only able to enter four digits.

I'd appreciate any pointers people may have. My only thought is liquid has come in contact with the machine but I'm 99% certain this has not happened.. I do have the option to reinstall Windows 10 with a few clicks and the machine will do it for me. I thought it better to ask the question before I take this step.

Thanks

I have the original series Surface, and often get the mad touchscreen at login.

The only things that have helped have been;

A full charge
A cleaned screen
Detaching/reattaching the keyboard
And weirdly, turning it portrait-wise is the most effective.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I saw something similar with my Pro 3 the other day funnily enough. Never seen it do it before but switching it off then on again fixed it.

OP
OP
PaulSB

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I found this and have followed it up to and including Step 8. At present things seem OK. In fact after a thorough clean with a lens cleaning wipe the problem seemed to be solved. I rarely use touch screen and didn't think the screen was especially dirty. Perhaps it's more sensitive to dirt and skin grease than I imagined? I think I'll make the lens wipe cleaning a weekly thing.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...roblems-with-touch?os=windows-10#Solution3W10

Very strangely I got a phone call from one of those Microsoft support people who had detected a problem with my PC and wanted to help while I was doingh all this! :laugh: That's true!

U

User6179

Can you not look up Event viewer to check for error messages and check to see if any updates were applied to windows just before it started playing up.

Top Bottom