microsoft vista

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

busdennis

Veteran
hi im new to vista and need to uninstall a program but cannot see an unistall icon in the control panel. also outlook express as been corrupted and will not open so can anybody recommend a safe place to reinstall a fresh copy

thanks

defy-one

Best advice i can give you is upgrade to windows 7.
Vista was very buggy and didn't stay for long.
Do you have your windows cd? Try a repair from that,or visit the microsoft web site and do a search

rusky

CC Addict
If upgrading isn't an option you can uninstall programs from the Programs & features icon in control panel.

Outlook express was ditched with XP, Vista & 7 use Windows Mail, try that!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If you can wait, I believe that microsoft are offering an upgrade to windows 8 from xp/vista/7 for £30. It's a limited running time period till Jan I think.

Control panel, then type 'unin' into the search box top right.
'Programs and Features', 'Uninstall a Program' will then be listed for you to click on.

For what it is worth, Vista was pretty fixed after SP1, let alone SP2.
In fact my 'upgrade' to Win7 had me looking for any changes at all, stability remained the same too - as in rock solid.
I know Vista bashing before SP1 became a bit of a web meme at the time, but I have rarely seen any substance to it since SP1.

As for Windows 8...the interface preview left me cold, so I'll probably wait until that is at least past SP1 too.

Doseone

Guru
Click on the windows icon bottom left of screen; click on control panel; click on programs/ uninstall a program.

If you still can't find it when you click on control panel you have the option to go back to the classic control panel view which will look more familiar if you have come from XP.

FWIW I have Vista SP2 and have had no real issues with it. Some things are not completely intuitive, but such is Windows and there is not enough wrong with it to make me want to spend to upgrade.

NotthatJasonKenny

Faster on HFLC
Best thing to do is pick the whole machine up, put it in the bin and buy a mac, any mac...I paid £250 from eBay to see how I got on with it. No crashes, no bugs, no virus and it...just...works. Upgraded two years ago to a newer one at £400 off eBay...still going strong and I sold my old one for £200. It does everything I want it to, upgraded to lion, runs iTunes, match, photoshop, dreamweaver, iPhoto etc...without issues.

You won't look back.

albion

Guru
Does it make decent coffee?

I've tried Java beans but they were tasteless.

I take it you're using the classic view for control panel. Click on Control Panel Home and there is a Programs section with the uninstall function listed. Ignore the Vista doesn't work element. Also ignore the buy Apple element as the costs of replacing an apple pc can get expensive if you need one quickly. Outlook express doesn't run on windows after xp, install windows live mail instead.
I bought a Windows 7 home premium dvd as a preorder when it was only £45 and have yet to install it as I haven't had any real problems with Vista (a lot of the this OS doesn't work is folks repeating what they've read without actually having used it , I've been using it for 3 years and I'm running such stuff as Pinnacle Studio and an embedded Linux development system okay)

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
thanks for all the help
ive sorted most of my problems out but outlook express is still corrupted, will not open with several error box messages "recovering windows data base"
"out of memery" "corrupted by a application external to windows mail" and "inintailze junk filtering"

dont think its worth upgrading this pc to a newer version of windows and the original disks are lost

would one of the recovery disks for sale on the web make any difference?

As already stated by Rusky, Outlook Express won't work properly on Vista.

Windows Mail was the replacement and is part of Vista, but was in turn superseded by Windows Live Mail, which can be freely downloaded.

OP
OP
busdennis

busdennis

Veteran
thanks again
i was about to type "ive been using outlook express for years with vista without any problems" when the penny dropped and ive been using windows live without knowing

still cannot read my emails or get to any of my contacts?

Funny as your first post says "hi im new to vista".
Or do you mean you've been running outlook express on xp for years ?
If you really mean windows live mail and not windows mail, which is the vista replacement for outlook express,
then try the suggestions in the second post here

Top Bottom