Middle class things

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
They missed out over-educated under-resourced - probably the largest and fastest-growing 'class' in the UK - and the the entire developed world for that matter. Cultured enough to appreciate fine wines, but reduced to £3.30 Tesco Spanish Red. *sob*.
Cheer up, there's a love.

They do organic hummus in Asda now too, you know?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
They missed out over-educated under-resourced - probably the largest and fastest-growing 'class' in the UK - and the the entire developed world for that matter. Cultured enough to appreciate fine wines, but reduced to £3.30 Tesco Spanish Red. *sob*.
Aldi do a passable Italian White for £2.99

rich p

ridiculous old lush
[QUOTE 3339322, member: 259"]And you can get two litres of Tesco Basics white spirit for under £4. :cheers:[/QUOTE]
Good spot Mort - the tonic costs more than that

screenman

Legendary Member
We use the stuff you get in 25kg bags from Wickes. I'm not sure whether that makes me working class (knowing where the nearest Wickes is) or middle class (having a driveway big enough to justify buying 25kg bags of salt)

I do not think that is enough to do my whole driveway, what class would that make me? I always thought I was pure working.

I just can't drink that awful peasants blended tea anymore. It has to be Darjeeling (Finest tippy flowery orange pekoe, or GTFO). It has to be brewed in a glass teapot, and served with a twist of lemon (don't you dare put milk in it either).:thumbsup:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I just can't drink that awful peasants blended tea anymore. It has to be Darjeeling (Finest tippy flowery orange pekoe, or GTFO). It has to be brewed in a glass teapot, and served with a twist of lemon (don't you dare put milk in it either).:thumbsup:
Oh the Indian, I much prefer Chinese 'Green' tea these days

I think Tin Pots list is probably not far off the reality.
But then it is sometimes tricky to pigeonhole everyone.

Years ago we thought ourselves middle class if we had a prawn cocktail and a spag bol washed down with a bottle of German white wine.

Much of the culinary and cultural habits are just presented to us as middle class as they often come from the peasants way of life in the country of origin. Somehow it is all packaged up and sold to us in some way or another for more money!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
The Great British Class Survey:
http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22000973

New classes and classification criteria:

• Elite: This is the most privileged class in Great Britain who have high levels of all three capitals. Their high amount of economic capital sets them apart from everyone else.
  • Established Middle Class: Members of this class have high levels of all three capitals although not as high as the Elite. They are a gregarious and culturally engaged class.
  • Technical Middle Class: This is a new, small class with high economic capital but seem less culturally engaged. They have relatively few social contacts and so are less socially engaged.
  • New Affluent Workers: This class has medium levels of economic capital and higher levels of cultural and social capital. They are a young and active group.
  • Emergent Service Workers: This new class has low economic capital but has high levels of 'emerging' cultural capital and high social capital. This group are young and often found in urban areas.
  • Traditional Working Class: This class scores low on all forms of the three capitals although they are not the poorest group. The average age of this class is older than the others.
  • Precariat: This is the most deprived class of all with low levels of economic, cultural and social capital. The everyday lives of members of this class are precarious.
The survey claims I'm "established middle-class"

Cobblers. I'm a house-trained yob from a council estate who happens to have decent levels of savings and catholic tastes in people and pastimes. And I (we) will inherit approx. ZERO on the death of my surviving parent or ma-in-law.

Drago

Legendary Member
Waitrose? One of those common supermarket places? How passe. One gets one's food delivered by a man from Fortnum and Mason.

Top Bottom