Midges and beer/fruit flies are driving me crazy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
One of my favourites....

Drago

Legendary Member
I've been suffering these last few days! When it's mild and damp i get attacked by midges...badly! I can't even have my windows open,as the feckers get into my flat and lie in wait for me returning. They mainly go for my head and eyebrows. I've tried citronella spray,but it doesn't hold the horrible things off! Any suggestions?:sad:
Might I suggest Accy that you cease your bed time ritual of smearing yourself in gravy, sleepmwith the window closed, and move away from the western isles.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
At least with it being dry outside for the last two days i haven't been bitten to feck! I'm also getting used to the fruit/beer flies. They've floating round a banana i have in my kitchen,as if to say 'come on peel it so we can dine'. They aren't the type of flies that feed on dog shoot,so i don't think there's a health and safety issue here! :unsure:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Yep, bait fruit flies with cider vinegar or red or white wine with a drop of washing up liquid in it, they're deeply attracted to it but they sink and drown when they break the surface. Rinse all bottles and cans immediately after use, and get rid of old fruit, then clean your kitchen. The problem will be gone in 24 hours.

Midges biting you is a different matter. Fly spray the room, leave it for ten minutes and it should have rid the room of them.

Top Bottom