Midges?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Kirstie said:
Skin so soft doesn't repel midges, it's just so thick and gunky that they drown in it during their unending quest to gnash your flesh. It is effective, you just smell like a granny the whole time.

The one I use is very liquid and has a nice aroma so maybe we use a different SSS product? I'm not actualy convinced as to its effectiveness however!

The Deet one that I use I bought in NZ 15 years ago has Aloe Vera (not really sure what that does for it but it smells sort of OK) and is very effective against all the biting insects that I have come up against - trouble is unless you are very paranoid and apply it as a matter of routine you tend to get bitten before you can find it

rich p said:
The one I use is very liquid and has a nice aroma so maybe we use a different SSS product? I'm not actualy convinced as to its effectiveness however!

The stuff I use is squirty. You have to reapply it every half our or so for it to be effective - ie once it sinks in it doesn't work. I don't like the deet based products because of their propensity to melt your helmet, gloves,clothes etc...

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have tried Skin so Soft Woodland Fresh and I do agree; it's remarkably effective and smells great too. I work for a perfume manufacturer and we don't know whey it works so well, either it contains some molecules they just hate or it mimics the smell of ferns and greenery so well that it confuses them by masking the exhaled CO2. The perfume is a fougere so it really does smell like ferns; it's also got quite a lot in common with good old Brut.

Mosquito coils burning around your tent are pretty good as well. If you inhale the smoke in your tent you'll get a bit chesty after a couple of days.

Proud2Push

Another addition to the anti-insect arsenal is neem oil. I haven't tried it against midges, but its effect on clegs (horse flies) is instantaneous. I wouldn't go in the countryside in summer without it now. It's the most evil smelling witches brew and if you accidentally taste it - :evil:

I found out by accident that it works when sitting in the tent in an orchard in Suffolk watching about 20 clegs on the flysheet probing through the fabric with their pointy mouthparts :wacko:. I'd got the neem oil for skin problems on my hands and unscrewed the bottle to put some on the rash, when suddenly all the clegs disappeared. After that they have never been a problem.

I wonder if it works with ticks....?

We'll be taking it, and our SSS, up to Scotland in ten days time for our JoGLon so we'll no doubt find out.

aoj

I'am a Scotsman, but this is funny

Landslide said

"Drink at least a bottle of whisky each day. The midges can't abide the taste."

What does a Scotsman say when a midge falls into his glass of Whisky?

Spit it oot! Spit it oot!

tribble

midges

they are not at any location i know of up here at john o groats its generally too flipping windy. they are mainly down the west coast and through the great glen and fort william. its the haggis you should be more concerned about. put yer socks over youre trousers. lol

Top Bottom