Midges

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
I appreciate they have to sneak a bit of my blood, I suppose it's fair enough in the big scheme of things, but why, the day after the bite, does it have to look and feel like I've been hit on the arm by an anti-aircraft shell?

Why can't they inject a little anasthetic, or magic healing cream instead of the cocktail of nastys that results in so much pain and inflamation? might buy them a bit more goodwill instead of such hatred. Just a thought...

Barstewards.

gavintc

Guru
I appreciate they have to sneak a bit of my blood, I suppose it's fair enough in the big scheme of things, but why, the day after the bite, does it have to look and feel like I've been hit on the arm by an anti-aircraft shell?

Why can't they inject a little anasthetic, or magic healing cream instead of the cocktail of nastys that results in so much pain and inflamation? might buy them a bit more goodwill instead of such hatred. Just a thought...

Barstewards.

You must be away from Kent to suffer from the dreaded midge.

You are quite correct, even the common mosquito bite is typically less of a problem and will down quite quickly. Some people are more susceptible.

OP
OP
Panter

Panter

Just call me Chris...
They're thankfully fairly rare down here, but I got nobbled on a river bank recently by one, hence the post!

I don't like mosquitos either, but at least the effects wear off fairly quickly

Globalti

Legendary Member
There have been books written about the effect of the midge on the Scottish economy over the centuries.

Midge bites are annoying but mossie bites turn into huge itchy lumps that drive me mad for several days.

gavintc

Guru
There have been books written about the effect of the midge on the Scottish economy over the centuries.

Midge bites are annoying but mossie bites turn into huge itchy lumps that drive me mad for several days.

We live near a lake and always have a few mossies in the house. Mosquito bites are just one of those things, you get used to them. They only come up into itchy lumps if you touch them - ignore them and they just go away. I think I will get bitten most evenings.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I was cycling in the Goyt Valley about three weeks ago. Cycling out couldn't get my speed up as I was going uphill. A cloud of the little buggers descended on me no escape. When I got in counted 48 bites. Itching for a week !

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I was cycling in the Goyt Valley about three weeks ago. Cycling out couldn't get my speed up as I was going uphill. A cloud of the little buggers descended on me no escape. When I got in counted 48 bites. Itching for a week !

Should have sprinted............

"Whay here comes another cyclist boys, he can't go fast up here.......hmmm meal time.......... " :whistle:

ELL

Über Member
I live in Sittingbourne as well and had 3 of them in the garage whilst I was on the turbo the other night. None of them got to me but one was flying pretty close to my ear. I find the best way to deal with the bites are one of the little zapper things. I have used them for the last couple of years and they work a treat.

Top Bottom