Mike's JOGLE

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
K

Koi

I plan on taking two spare tubes like you did, I'm also going to take 1 spare tyre although I'm hopeful I won't need either as the tyres I'll be 'wearing' have a Kevlar content & are puncture resistant, alegedly.

I'll give Facebook a trial to see how it works.

I have a general question, although a bit personal, that anyone could answer, how did you go on for your toilet requirements during the ride? Did you go into a pub/cafe, find public toilets (rarer than tail winds), go behind a bush or some other solution?

Mike.

mattlandells

We took a spare tyre between the 3 of us but didn't need to use it. As long as yours are in good condition it's very unlikely you'll need a spare, but always worth having one if you've got the room

As to "personal needs", it really depends on where you are. In the wilds of Scotland it may well be 20 miles to the nearest toilet! In more built up areas though, it's easy enough to find a loo. Supermarkets are good bets, but we also used pubs and cafes along the route. Most were fine when we asked but we ended up stopping for a quick refreshment at a few anyway.

Public toilets? I heard they exist somewhere...

Matt

OP
OP
K

Koi

I did 80 miles yesterday (to Chester & back) & the weather was atrocious.... good job it's summer!

Apart from the cup of coffee I had in the cafe in Chester I never had another drink... my 750ml bottle returned unopened, it was too cold & wet to get dehydrated.

Christkd

On our LEJOG the UK was our toilet!! As long as you are off the main road and your tackle isn't on display to the passing motorists you'll be fine! Although a Scotsman did have a moan at us when we disappeared behind an old disused out building as its often used as a public toilet apparently!!!!
Or you could take the civilised advice above and use shops etc!!! ;)

Have fun :thumbsup:

Chris

Christkd

Mike,

Just looking at your web page and training log, you are certainly putting in the miles and I think once you've gone around 3-4 days you will start finding the ride easier.
One of our team was just approaching 50 when we did LEJOG and certainly didn't put in the training you have, he struggled a couple of days but all in all did really well. We completed LEJOG in 12 days and hit a big 107mile day on our 3rd day!!!!

You'll do great, having the B&B's booked gives you your goal for the day and its nice to know you have a hot shower and comfy bed to look forward to!! :thumbsup:

All the best

Chris

OP
OP
K

Koi

Only 2 days to go now, can't wait!

'll pack my bike into it's plastic bag tomorrow, ready for the flights to Edinburgh/Wick, I had a problem getting one of the pedals off so i took it to a lbs who removed it in no time.

I just hope the weather improves.

Rebel Ian

After a few days of getting soaked it actually doesn't bother you any more! Once you are drenched it doesn't get any more uncomfortable so we just carried on. I'd recommend waterproof shoe covers however. My clingfilm technique proved woefully inadequate in fending off some of the deluges we cycled through.

wintonbina

Über Member
Hi Mike,

Good Luck fella, just remember the assos, sudacrem & germoline creams :rolleyes: , plenty of energy bars/gels, also lots of fluids (including a beer at night!), cold bath for 15mins as soon as you walk in the digs & a chocolate milkshake whilst lying in the bath(its supposed to replenish all the important bits :thumbsup: ).
Also ignore all the hills, the headwinds & the rain and you will be fine!!!!!

With regards to puntures, most of us didn't get a single puncture whereas a couple of guys had loads of them (keep out of the gutters!).

Enjoy the trip, its a once in a lifetime experience unless you do it again :tongue:

Cheers,

Tony

OP
OP
K

Koi

Thanks guys. The Sudocrem, energy bars & a few gels for emergencies are all ready to be packed.

I already have some overshoes which I will be taking, they don't keep your feet dry but your shoes don't end up with as much water inside them.

My tyres have a Kevlar content so hopefully I won't get any punctures.... I'm sure to now!

If any of you fancy acompanying me for a few miles during any part of my journey leave a message on here or on my website.

http://mikesjogle.webnode.com/

Thanks for the best wishes, I'll be updating my blog on my website every night to relay my progress.

Bring it on!

Rebel Ian

Before LEJoG I did 1500 miles on crappy Vittoria Zafirro tyres with no punctures at all. That was good fortune I'm sure so spent a lot of money getting decent tyres before LEJoG - Continental Gatorskins with the kevlar lining. Very highly recommended. I had two punctures in the space of three days!

Good luck and enjoy it, especially Berriedale, Shap and Dartmoor! Ride safe. :biggrin:

OP
OP
K

Koi

I'm currently back in my home town of Bolton, so I'm just over half way & loving it.

Loads of photos & long blogs on my website,

OP
OP
K

Koi

Hi Nozzer, glad you enjoyed the blog,
I'm back home now having completed the task (an amazing experience) & I've only just seen your message/link, I've had a quick look and I can recognise a lot about what you say, I'll read it more thoroughly as soon as I get chance.
I intend adding a summary to my blog in the next few days,

All the best,
Mike,

Top Bottom