Milan - Sanremo 2016

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

Hi, I'm new to watching this on tv. I knew that the Tour de France was long, but never knew these events were nearly 300km! Do the top riders compete in these events as well as the Tour, or do some pro's save themselves for the big ones? I cannot imagine riding this long, climb and then sprint for the finish!

Also a point about bike sizing, a lot of these riders look too small for the bikes they are on, there does seem to be a big drop from seat height to bars, is this normal for pro cycling? Mine doesn't look too bad now!

Hi. Yes there is a big height difference between saddle and bars, mostly about being aerodyamic, us mortals who don't want a bad back are allowed to have the bars a tad higher if we wish. As you follow cycling throughout the season you'll get to understand which riders prefer what sort of race and what their targets are, but basically yes, a lot of them will ride in the classics and the grand tours.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Also, there does seem to be a mix of bike types. What I mean is, road race and sportive. Some of the bikes look aero and some not.

Do the top riders compete in these events as well as the Tour, or do some pro's save themselves for the big ones?
Milan - Sanremo is a "big one", one of a handful of races known as "Monuments". And then there are the "Classics" (which includes the "Monuments") and also the semi-classics. Muurs, Pave and Bergs are usually a feature. And longer distances. Much more exciting than most stage races in my opinion.

Oh, and if you want a bit of fun and maybe learn a bit (although very doubtful..!!) there is a pro pundit competition that you can take part in, it might get you to know a bit more about the different type of races and riders. You cannae be any worse than the rest of us!

Milan - Sanremo is a "big one", one of a handful of races known as "Monuments". And then there are the "Classics" (which includes the "Monuments") and also the semi-classics. Muurs, Pave and Bergs are usually a feature. And longer distances. Much more exciting than most stage races in my opinion.

Typical condescending reply from a po faced pro-cycling aficionado - why couldn't you just say that they often feature cobbled sections some of which are very steep

Because I was trying to be helpful.

And that - I suppose is as good as it gets :whistle:

oldroadman

Veteran
Let's try to help. First, the big drop between seat and bars is normal in racing, even at amateur level. It's so the aerodynamic profile is the best it can be. Riders spend a lot of time on flexibility to be able to achieve a position without getting a bad back. Next, nobody rides a "sportive" bike in races. The position is a bit too relaxed and bike build is different. However well anyone thinks their "sportive special" (sportives are not races, despite what some people may think or want them to be) handles, a race bike is much sharper and responds faster to inputs.
And riders in the major classics may well be seen in big stage races as domestiques or even protected riders. Almost every rider will ride a week to 10 day race at some time during the season. There are as noted the "monuments" (e.g Milan San Remo, Paris-Roubaix, Ronde van Vlanderen, Leige Bastogne Leige). All are 250km +. This years MSR ended up at just over 300km - longest of the big single day races - due to a diversion caused by a landslide.
There are no long climbs - by pro standards - in MSR. Fairly gentle average gradients, nothing much over 5km, and can be taken on the big ring if the wind direction is right. Sprinters sit for almost 7 hours trying not to get dropped, the critical part is the last 25 or so km, Cipressa and Poggio, which are taken fast and are hard because of distance and the wearing down effect of frequent ups and downs all the way. Then the descents are almost as important - Poggio certainly is - it's possible to win or lose in the last 10km that way. Off the Poggio it's a madhouse if there are a good number left in with a chance (as this year), a big fight for position with under 5km left when you hit the main road in to the finish.
Hope all this helps, enjoy your classics viewing!

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Let's try to help. First, the big drop between seat and bars is normal in racing, even at amateur level. It's so the aerodynamic profile is the best it can be. Riders spend a lot of time on flexibility to be able to achieve a position without getting a bad back. Next, nobody rides a "sportive" bike in races. The position is a bit too relaxed and bike build is different. However well anyone thinks their "sportive special" (sportives are not races, despite what some people may think or want them to be) handles, a race bike is much sharper and responds faster to inputs.
And riders in the major classics may well be seen in big stage races as domestiques or even protected riders. Almost every rider will ride a week to 10 day race at some time during the season. There are as noted the "monuments" (e.g Milan San Remo, Paris-Roubaix, Ronde van Vlanderen, Leige Bastogne Leige). All are 250km +. This years MSR ended up at just over 300km - longest of the big single day races - due to a diversion caused by a landslide.
There are no long climbs - by pro standards - in MSR. Fairly gentle average gradients, nothing much over 5km, and can be taken on the big ring if the wind direction is right. Sprinters sit for almost 7 hours trying not to get dropped, the critical part is the last 25 or so km, Cipressa and Poggio, which are taken fast and are hard because of distance and the wearing down effect of frequent ups and downs all the way. Then the descents are almost as important - Poggio certainly is - it's possible to win or lose in the last 10km that way. Off the Poggio it's a madhouse if there are a good number left in with a chance (as this year), a big fight for position with under 5km left when you hit the main road in to the finish.
Hope all this helps, enjoy your classics viewing!
Thanks for the post very helpful. Yes I will enjoy the classics.

oldroadman

Veteran
Of course Roubaix is a very different animal. As is RVV and LBL. That's the charm for the fans, and (mostly) pain for the riders. LBL is brutal for the distance and a continuous series of nasty steep climbs, RVV (usually a bit shorter at "only" 220-250km) the same but with added pave for "entertainment", and P-R is, well, P-R, where you can't win on good luck but you sure can lose with bad!

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Of course Roubaix is a very different animal. As is RVV and LBL. That's the charm for the fans, and (mostly) pain for the riders. LBL is brutal for the distance and a continuous series of nasty steep climbs, RVV (usually a bit shorter at "only" 220-250km) the same but with added pave for "entertainment", and P-R is, well, P-R, where you can't win on good luck but you sure can lose with bad!

Did you ever ride P-R, oldroadman? (Just interested...)

Top Bottom