mildew on helmet straps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Found a helmet with black mildew on it in the shed today,any ideas on how to remove it and is it best to store them in the house?. I did not get the spots when we had a house with a garage.

speccy1

Found a helmet with black mildew on it in the shed today,any ideas on how to remove it and is it best to store them in the house?. I did not get the spots when we had a house with a garage.
Never had that problemxx(

Sometimes get salt marks on mine when it`s hot, but they never go mouldy. Don`t know...............

I wipe mine with a weak solution of Milton.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_m6Lhqauurf23nEyb2s9JJ6ie5qZ7X0v8DYAqNf7xOWAeG4hu.jpg

Ajax Bay

Guru
Wash the straps, dry 'em, use it. Same goes for the little paddy bits which otherwise 'salt up' big time (like @speccy1 's straps). Please to say today was so warm that for the first time this year, this was a (welcome) issue (and now the 'paddy bits' are washed and drying, and the helmet sans pads, is hung up to dry). Weather forecast's good all week, though bit windy on some days.

Helmets (well the 'chosen one') should always be kept with other important items (eg gloves, specs, emergency pack/bag, tube) in a 'grab bag' in case there's a chance of a ride at short notice. But if they're left damp (ie the straps, after a ride) then stored in a (?damp?) shed, mildrew may thrive. Even if dried, the salt remaining (from dried sweat) will be hygroscopic, with likely the same end result (in a damp environment).

Drago

Legendary Member
Warm soapy water does it. If they're kept in a shed or garage then let them dry after use and slip it into a carrier bag before putting lt away.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Put it in a bucket with some hot water and two tabs of Arial Bio. Stick a brick on top of it to keep the whole shebang underwater, and leave it for a couple of days before rinsing it under the shower.
It might work.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
I wipe mine with a weak solution of Milton.

+1 for Milton

&+2

Top Bottom