Miles driven in lifetime?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Sad confession time: since the age of 18 until now (nearly 64) I've kept a rough log of my miles driven which until the end of 2019 now totals 1,024,000.

The last 16 years I have only driven a few thousand miles pa.

Peak was '97 - '99 when I drove 178,000 miles in 2 years and 11 months - positively bonkers time in my career as this also coincided to plane flights and long train journeys. Not good especially as my job was very demanding at the time. Oh for Zoom etc back then!

So, around 22,000 miles pa average and falling each year due to increasingly idle post-career lifestyle.

How are you doing? Or is it simply too sad to keep track of such a thing (I'd say yes tbh)?

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Sorry, that does seem quite sad, unless you need it for job purposes. I couldn't even tell you how much I've done this year.

screenman

Legendary Member
I imagine I am a bit in front of you, just had an MOT done and my mileage this year has only been 17,000 which is by far my lowest year for the last 40 at least, bearing in mind this doe not count the miles I do in the other car which this morning along was 40ish.

Jody

Stubborn git
I reckon I'm somewhere around 450,000 miles in the last 20+ years.

Last few years have been around 7-8,000 miles a year and this year is very little. I'm still only on my second tank of fuel since March

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm a very low mileage driver, typically sub 3000 miles (and latterly well south of 1500 miles 2 years running), always have been. Ive always prided myself in never driving a journey that I could cycle. By my reckoning, in 34 years of driving I've done about 95,000, excluding mileage spent behind the wheel of a police car.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Not much for me I would say. Probably no more than 100,000 for me over my entire 40 years of driving. For the last 20 years I have lived in Wales and only do about 3,500 per year.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Probably around the million mark. I've had a few jobs that involved driving.

tyred

Legendary Member
I'd estimate about 400,000 over 22 years. Certainly I have put up over 160,000 on my current Peugeot. I can't say for certain with the VW as I did have to change the speedometer at some point as the original stopped registering speed.

I had a round trip commute of about 45 miles for many years. At no time did I really use my car for pointless journeys like driving several hundred yards to the shops for a newspaper but I'm not adverse to making pointless journeys and enjoy driving the quiet coastal routes even yet if I feel to tired to go for a ride and before I got into cycle touring I would often have used my car to do the sort of tours I'd now do by bicycle.

DRM

Guru
I've just had a rough tot up for work I've done about 1,800,000 over 37 years, possibly a bit more than that, private mileage is a bit harder to work out, but possibly add another 340,000 to that makes 2,140,000 over that time, that's scary.

Gunk

Guru
I’ve never added it up, I’ve been driving since 1982, these days I do about 15000 a year and a couple of thousand on a motorcycle. 20 years ago I was doing 40000 a year and about another 5000 a year on motorbikes. One evening when I’ve completely lost my marbles I’ll try and add it all up!

Landsurfer

Veteran
I did a million miles plus in the period 2002 - 2016 ... just business miles ... probably about another 100K on personal / family milage .. i was a late starter to driving cars .. didn't get my licence until i was 30 ... but rode a motorbike before then averaging about 36K miles a year ... commuting from Sheffield to Norwich 3 days a week didn't help i suppose .... still do 50K plus a year in the van ...

Top Bottom