Miles or Km's? which do you use to record a ride?

Do you use Miles or Km's for recording distance travelled?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
and as for a parsec

A parsec (symbol: pc) is an astronomical unit of length used to measure distances to objects outside the Solar System. 1 parsec is the distance at which a disc with a radius of 1 astronomical unit appears to subtend an angle of 1 arcsecond.[1] About 3.26 light-years (31 trillion kilometres or 19 trillion miles) in length, the parsec is shorter than the distance from our solar system to the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, which is 1.3 parsecs from the Sun.[2] Nevertheless, most of the stars visible to the unaided eye in the nighttime sky are within 500 parsecs of the Sun.
How long does it take to so the Kessel run though ?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTO-bvTjP86xH4E8CvEGeo6y0UVwSom2dnwNm3IILGnP7utqIUS.jpg

Miles for me as well, its what the road signs are in so i cant see the point of using a different measurement .

In that instance its wrong as I assume you know, he;s referring to time not distance, in other words the Kessel run is 12 parsecs long or just under 40 light years (39.12 years at the speed of light, speed of light is186,000 miles a second)
This is the star that is closest to us for that distance Zeta Reticuli @ 39.46 light years, its a double star system a bit like the Alpha Centauri system (our closest galactic neighbour , but that really is a trinary system Alpha like ours Beta a smaller M type and Proxima a K type) back to Zeta Reticuli both a G types like our Sun and a visual magnitude 4.62 so is visiable with the naked eye.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
In that instance its wrong as I assume you know, he;s referring to time not distance, in other words the Kessel run is 12 parsecs long or just under 40 light years (39.12 years at the speed of light, speed of light is186,000 miles a second)
This is the star that is closest to us for that distance Zeta Reticuli @ 39.46 light years, its a double star system a bit like the Alpha Centauri system (our closest galactic neighbour , but that really is a trinary system Alpha like ours Beta a smaller M type and Proxima a K type) back to Zeta Reticuli both a G types like our Sun and a visual magnitude 4.62 so is visiable with the naked eye.
I do , i wondered if you got the joke ...........................

Rasmus

Without a clever title
I did, I just wonder if the script writers knew.
They (probably) didn't. Of course, as every self-respecting geek should know, the Kessel run is one of the most legendary retcons:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run

They (probably) didn't. Of course, as every self-respecting geek should know, the Kessel run is one of the most legendary retcons:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Kessel_Run
So why would weight have anything to do with shortening distance

A parsec is a unit of distance, not time. Solo was not referring directly to his ship's speed when he made this claim. Instead, he was referring to the shorter route he was able to travel by skirting the nearby Maw black hole cluster, thus making the run in under the standard distance

The smuggler BoShek actually beat Solo's record in his ship, Infinity, but without cargo to weigh him down.

I am not a great sc-fi watcher, just have had an interest in Astronomy since i was a Kid

_MG_6560.jpg
_MG_6546-Edit.jpg

Those you probably know

This is Venus passing the Pleiades, I missed the closest point because of cloud.
_MG_6516.jpg

and this just Venus
_MG_6314-Edit.jpg

Backonmybike

KM. We changed over to km about 10 years ago in Ireland and my teenage kids don't understand miles. If I say I cycled 20 miles they ask what's that in modern english! To them miles belong back in olde enghishe and Shakespere.

Top Bottom