Milestones was a fail, lets try a foreign one, no English language signs or names😄

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

ou.jpg

I hope that path was wider than 2 metres young man or you'll be in trouble! In Baden-Württemberg the forestry rules clearly state:

"Nicht gestattet sind das Reiten auf gekennzeichneten Wanderwegen unter 3 m Breite und auf Fußwegen, das Radfahren auf Wegen unter 2 m Breite sowie das Reiten und Radfahren auf Sport- und Lehrpfaden; die Forstbehörde kann Ausnahmen zulassen. § 52 Abs. 2 Satz 2 des Naturschutzgesetzes bleibt unberührt."

(In English it basically means that cycling is not permitted on paths less than 2 metres wide, though exceptions may exist.)

Source:

https://www.dimb.de/fachberatung/die-rechtslage/baden-wuerttemberg/

Apologies, I couldn't resist. I happened this week, to need to disappear down the rabbit hole of access laws for cycling in Germany and was fascinated to learn of some of the arcane laws existing in some of the states, like, no cycling on paths narrower than 2m in Baden Württemberg.

In reality though, the caveat that " Some exceptions may apply" means I doubt anyone would seriously get into any trouble, though you never fully know with the Germans!

Obviously, as a good citizen I always carry a meter stick to measure the road before I ride along it.

Obviously, as a good citizen I always carry a meter stick to measure the road before I ride along it.
Tut tut, Andy, you're displaying your immigrant status! A true-born German knows instinctively how wide 1 meter is ^_^

Seriously though,
In reality though, the caveat that " Some exceptions may apply" means I doubt anyone would seriously get into any trouble, though you never fully know with the Germans!
It's been a while and I can't remember the source but there was a big row in the Limburg area of NL (borders both Germany & Belgium) over bikes (and the dreaded bikepackers* ^_^ ) using trails that had traditionally been used by hikers. Lots of heat, very little light and lots of talk about "rules" and "laws" with a minimum of humanity and common sense.

Old rules can be dragged up either due to need, fussy duddies getting peed off or people on two wheels acting like jackasses. Those of us who like to get lost/explore (delete as appropriate) should take care and be respectful.

I was bemused to see last weekend in a National Park here in Spain that cycling was permitted on certain routes - but only with permission granted in advance. I'd need to be able to show said permission to anyone who enquired.

*Bikepackers are cool ^_^ I have no problem with either the term or the participants

Tut tut, Andy, you're displaying your immigrant status! A true-born German knows instinctively how wide 1 meter is

Trust me, I make that pretty obvious whenever I speak (or write) in German. I'm fluent but I have a strong and apparently American accent which I can't shift.

It's been a while and I can't remember the source but there was a big row in the Limburg area of NL (borders both Germany & Belgium) over bikes

See? See? It's not just Germans... (exits muttering)

2024_01_27_Landeck_19.jpg

Health warning at the Landeck bring-and-lend bookshelf; "Lesen Gefahrdet die Dummheit"; "Reading endangers stupidity"

Top Bottom