Milk Race Photos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I hope these pictures might be of interest. They were taken by my father, a decent amateur time-triallist in his day, on June 3rd 1966. The action is from stage 7 of that year's Milk Race as it passed through Kingsclere, about 30 miles from the stage finish in Swindon.
MR1966a.jpg

MR1966b.jpg

MR1966c.jpg

It seems likely that the two in the first photo are Geoff Cross and Mike Cowley, who contested the finish over 3 minutes ahead of the next group, but I can't find a list of participants for that year to confirm the numbers (2 & 11).

Excellent! Went to milk race in Bournmouth 1982...great fun...also cycled over to Portsmouth couple of years later for Le Tour stage...wicked!

I remember my dad taking me to watch the milk race when I was tiny. Until he picked me up all I could see through the barrier was a lot of lumpy looking legs and there was an overpowering stench of embrocation. Happy days. :smile:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
It certainly could be Cowley (in the lead) and Cross. I was a club-mate of Geoff Cross at Camberley Wheelers and it looks like him on his day of glory in the Tour of Britain. The photo looks excellent quality. Geoff was one of those down-to-earth men who regarded leg shaving as an affectation of glamour boys on the Continental indoor tracks, so if you can see some leg hair on the original print I would say the case for Cross is rock solid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
It certainly could be Cowley (in the lead) and Cross. I was a club-mate of Geoff Cross at Camberley Wheelers and it looks like him on his day of glory in the Tour of Britain. The photo looks excellent quality. Geoff was one of those down-to-earth men who regarded leg shaving as an affectation of glamour boys on the continental indoor tracks, so if you can see some leg hair on the original print I would say the case for Cross is rock solid.
That's marvellous. I hoped they'd be seen by somebody who knew the riders. Now where did I put the prints?

Credit for the quality of the pictures rests solely with my dad, who amongst many things was an enthusiastic amateur photographer. Our house boasted a dedicated darkroom, which is why I never had my own bedroom :sad:. Perhaps now my sacrifice can be recognised?

Top Bottom