Millar: There Are Also Heroes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist

yello

A good piece, as usual. Millar can write.... but who's "Johnathon"!! Millar barely hides his contempt for Ricco and his actions, because others have to live with it.

Well, I had a feeling the snake’s move on the Aspin was too good to be true. And unfortunately of late, when I have that feeling, doping is involved.

That last bit is sad. Even cyclists doubt each other.... but I remember I think it was Christophe Moreau being interviewed right after Morzine in 2006, he was very cagey about how he said it but his suspicion was clear - Landis had doped.

wafflycat

Millar the saint? Hmm.. So, did Millar tell the plod who provided him with his drugs? Don't forget Millar didn't willingly come clean, he cracked under hours of police interrogation. He didn't willingly walk into the police station and say, "Right folks, this is what I did..." I'd have a lot more respect for Millar if he came clean about who he got his drugs from, where, when, how, who told him of the links to getting it.. None of this has ever come out, as far as I can tell. So I'm a tad cautious about Millar being so 'reformed' It would be good if he was, but hey, I'm getting more cynical as I get older. Mind you, I don't think cycling is any worse than any other sport at the top level. I regard any 'superhuman' effort as potentially drug-assisted these days: in any sport. Cycling - I watch it - but I don't get excited about it anymore. I don't get excited about any top-level competitive sport any more. As for the Olympics - I doubt I'll be watching any of it.

Edit: as mentioned elsewhere, I think the major part of the problem is with the team setups. I cannot believe that the teams are blissfully unaware of what the oh-so-naughty riders are doing all on their own as regards drugs. It's wrong that it's the riders alone who seem to be carrying the can. There has to be an entire network out there going untouched. The riders may be the users, but it seems the dealers are untouched. Of course, I could be wrong.

Keith Oates

Janner
I think you're being a little harsh on Millar, Waffles. He did confess and told them everything about himself and his personal involvement as far as I know. Dropping other people in the mire is not good and if he said 'Joe Bloggs' gave me the dope or whatever and Joe Bloggs said he didn't who do you believe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wafflycat

He didn't 'confess' willingly as is often portrayed. He only did so after many hours of police interrogation. He didn't come clean of his own volition, he only 'came clean' after many hours of police interrogation.

CotterPin

But at least he didn't drag the whole thing through various courts for two years and at least he doesn't continue to protest his innocence despite evidence to the contrary.

I guess in the rather grubby world of pro cycle racing that does make him a saint.

yello

As I recall, and it's all 20/20 hindsight no doubt, I think he professed to feeling very very uneasy about doping, and almost wanting to be caught... leaving needles out in obvious places (or whatever). That there was a kind of sense of relief that it was over.

Of course, part of what he says now, his near on evangelism, is part of his way of dealing with the past. I don't disrespect him for that. I don't call him a saint nor would I think he thought of himself as one... just someone that's been there and has a point of view. That's fair enough in my book, it's part of who he is.

MichaelM

Guru
Well, I had a feeling the snake’s move on the Aspin was too good to be true. And unfortunately of late, when I have that feeling, doping is involved.

Whereas three stage wins by a young Brit rider and the pace setting of Voight seemed merely routine.

Top Bottom