Mince pies - when did they start appearing on the supermarket shelves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

Mince pies? Well, they've been available in supermarkets for many years. I am, to use a phrase, no spring chicken, and I remember them being in supermarkets when I was a child...

You've reached adulthood and only having your first mince pies now? That must be unusual these days. Sheltered life?

Asda stocks them all year round...

and xmas never ends for the people who work in the mince pie factory that makes the mince pies for all the supermarkets, they spend all year making them and freezing them ready for the next 3 months...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I usually have my first one in September when I visit my mince pie mad friend - but I won't buy them myself until nearly Christmas.

Maz

Guru
I remember as a kid I used to think they contained real mince meat, so I told the teacher at junior school at xmas time "miss, I can't eat these, they've got mincemeat in them". It took some convincing from the teacher that it was actually fruit, but I've loved them ever since. Feeling hungry now!

OP
OP
vernon

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Mince pies? Well, they've been available in supermarkets for many years. I am, to use a phrase, no spring chicken, and I remember them being in supermarkets when I was a child...

You've reached adulthood and only having your first mince pies now? That must be unusual these days. Sheltered life?

I mean first of the Xmas season.......

If they are a year round product I must have walking around the supermarkets with my eyes averted from all Christmassy comestibles since January

sarahpink

i saw xmas cards in august, couldnt believe it. any excuse to make extra money, supermarkerts every year have cheap tins of biscuits chocolates on offer early just so people buy them eat them and then come back for more. i can just hear the little spokesman in asda informing everyone to buy before its too late
rolleyes.gif

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Merry Christmas everyone! :santa:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I remember as a kid I used to think they contained real mince meat, so I told the teacher at junior school at xmas time "miss, I can't eat these, they've got mincemeat in them". It took some convincing from the teacher that it was actually fruit, but I've loved them ever since. Feeling hungry now!

I once played a joke on some friends and they did contain minced meat - whilst I of course ate a fruit one
biggrin.gif

Arch

Married to Night Train
I saw my first Christmas Club ad in June too.

Yes, but the whole point of a Christmas Club is to start saving a little and often, early. They ought to start in January really...

Mmm, mince pie... A colleague bought a cake at the bakers yesterday to share - a slice consisting of pastry base and almond sponge top, like a bakewell tart, but instead of jam, a layer of mincemeat. Very nice!

Maz

Guru
They used to contain minced mutton Maz. My grandma still made mince with meat in it and preferred it like that.
I didn't know that. Just done some reading on it and originally mixed fruit and spices were used to preserve the meat.

Top Bottom