Mindless Idiots

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hubbike

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/tayside_and_central/8054215.stm

Ok a few very minor roads are closed for a day. For a race that raises over £225,000 Macmillan Cancer Support, brings over 3,500 people to stay in the area. And some plum decides to sabotage the race with nails. An act that could have lead to very nasty injuries or worse.

There are always loads of cycle tourists in Scotland and perhaps some of the people in the race would have been tempted to explore scotland a bit more. Especially if they were met with a friendly welcome. Deplorable.

Will1985

Über Member
I keep getting this sense of déjà vu....

stephenjubb

Über Member
people like Peter Hounam, from the Anti Closed Road Event do not like the roads closed for approx 5-6 hours once a year to raise £225,000 for charity.

Based on the news article and assuming the facts are correct and not misreported what a lot of selfish people they are. I'd give my non polite view of them and what to do with them but don't fancy being locked up in prison for 20 years!

mike1026

It is no surprise to anyone who cycles on the road that there is animosity against cyclists, most of us will be victimised by abusive language and aggression at some time.
Of course like everyone I am appalled at this behaviour but I do not believe that it is a good idea to close roads for a purely sporting event and antagonise those who are already likely to abuse cyclists.
In my own area there are occasional road race events, in the course of which riders can bunch up and cause delays to motorists. These are the kind of events where the road is not closed. In the days after such an event I notice that the level of abuse and aggression from drivers increases. Sporting events on public roads IMO, do not therefore help those of us who use our cycles as transport for leisure or work.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
In my naivete, I'd never heard of a protest group against cycle races. Whatever next, M.O.B = Mothers Against Breathing? F.O.R.T = Fellowship Opposed to Round Tyres?

I know. How about M.O.R.C.R.A.P. = Majority of Rational Citizens Resistant to Artificial Protests?

andym

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
In my naivete, I'd never heard of a protest group against cycle races.

Erm I think they're protesting about not being able to go anywhere for the best part of a day while the race is on.

I'm defending them for one moment, but events like this, and the London Marathon do involve inconvenience for local residents. However most people have the ability to put aside their own narrow selfish concerns and support these events.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
andym said:
Erm I think they're protesting about not being able to go anywhere for the best part of a day while the race is on.

I'm defending them for one moment, but events like this, and the London Marathon do involve inconvenience for local residents. However most people have the ability to put aside their own narrow selfish concerns and support these events.
I doubt that is true, with respect. They would have been informed of the race well in advance so they could move their tin boxes or whatever away from the course. They would not have been prevented from walking to their cars unless the cyclists were imminent.

andym

Über Member
Gerry Attrick said:
I doubt that is true, with respect. They would have been informed of the race well in advance so they could move their tin boxes or whatever away from the course. They would not have been prevented from walking to their cars unless the cyclists were imminent.

You obviously don't have any experience of what an event like this involves.

postman

Legendary Member
We have the Leeds Marathon every year.

Main roads out of town,Meanwood Road,Stonegate Road where we live .

All side roads closed.

Hell it's only once a year.What is wrong with a bit of walking.Or just stop in .

This year we even got a letter telling us about the road closures.

Randochap

Senior hunter
mike1026 said:
Sporting events on public roads IMO, do not therefore help those of us who use our cycles as transport for leisure or work.

I wonder why UK puts so few competitors in international cycle races?

Poor old Percy Stallard. All his efforts were in vain.

andym

Über Member
postman said:
We have the Leeds Marathon every year.

Main roads out of town,Meanwood Road,Stonegate Road where we live .

All side roads closed.

Hell it's only once a year.What is wrong with a bit of walking.Or just stop in .

This year we even got a letter telling us about the road closures.

I agree (I have the London Marathon every year). But at least I have access to the tube. I can imagine if I was a shiftworker in a Scottish village with a shift on a Sunday and the only road out of the village was closed for most of the day, I wouldn't be too pleased.

That doesn't excuse people being selfish nimbies - although I suspect the person who put down the tacks was a lone nutter.

Top Bottom