Mini Pump recommendations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We use a track pump at home to pump up the tyres on our Bromptons and I carry a CO2 inflator when we're on our lightweight ones as they have no pump attachment points.
Can anyone recommend a compact pump to carry, or is the standard Brompton pump about as good as it gets?

theloafer

Legendary Member

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The standard pump is OK. I've used it and it works.

That said, it doesn't inspire confidence. It feels a bit rubbish, so I generally carry a small pump with me (it's a Lezyne something or other I think, I can't remember* but it does handle Schrader) if I'm going on long rides (I also carry a tin of squirty sealant stuff as there's no way I'll be able to remember the rear wheel removal rigmarole on the road). On shorter rides I rely on the fact that I can just fold it up and seek alternative transport.

* That is about as rubbish a recommendation as you can get. I hope other people do better.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
I bought a Rolson mini pump from QD Stores for £5 this week. It pumps up to 120psi. To be honest it is not bad and got my 700x25 tyres pumped up no trouble. It looks well made. It has a water bottle clamp with a velcro strap so no chance of if coming off. Small enough to go in a pocket as well.
Rolson pump.jpg

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Don't forget that the OP is riding a Brompton, so recommended pumps need to handle Schrader valves.

Not saying any of the above don't, I don't know. Just sayin.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Don't forget that the OP is riding a Brompton, so recommended pumps need to handle Schrader valves.

Not saying any of the above don't, I don't know. Just sayin.
Sorry, forgot to mention that the Rolson comes already to go for schrader valves, it is only presta that the adapter has to be reversed for.

chriscross1966

Über Member
I canny a Zefal Z-hose as an upgrade for my stock pump, makes it way easier to use on carbon deep section rims , also has a useful pressure indicator that seems to match my workshop pump... anyhow, i can get the stock pump to about 90psi before it is just too much of a wrestling match....

CSG

For my stock M6L, the included pump works OK on the road, if needed, but it's much easier using a floor pump at home.

Kell

Veteran
I think the supplied pump is more a 'get you home' pump than one which is actually designed to put the recommended 90PSi into a tyre.

Moot point for me, as mine fell off and was lost about two years ago. I carry another in my rucksack, but it was gifted to me and it's not great.

My other bugbear about the Brompton pump was that the handle would fill up with water and my pump was rusty as hell before I lost it.

Top Bottom