Mini tour Belgium/France

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
A friebd and I are thinking of heading across the channel for the first May BH. Ferry Dover-Dunkirk around Midday on Friday, back sometime early evening on Monday from Calais (we will take fast train London to Dover and back). Probably looking to do around 50 (hopefully flat) miles per day (maybe 30 on Friday). Like to take in some of the WW1 stuff, not fussed about going to Bruges, wouldn’t mind a night in Lille maybe

Any tips on a quiet not too strenuous route, and any b&b or inexpensive hotels with bike parking recommendations?

Cheers in advance

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
This was an option we were looking at until we decided to get a train into Belgium and ride back.

Afternoon 1: Dunkirk-Furnes
Day 2: Furnes- Ypres-Tyne Cot or Menin-Kortrijk
Day 3: Kortrijk-Tournai-Lille- Armentieres
Day 4: return to Dunkirk

Maybe you can adapt that to a Calais return.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Cheers

I was thinking...
1) Dunkirk-Poperinge
2) Poperinge-Ypres-Kortrijk (time to look at the WW1 stuff)
3) Kortrijk-Lille-Armentieres-Bailleul
4) Bailleul-Dunkirk (I think Calais will be a bit far)

I've not cycled more than 30 miles in a day this year so don't want to over push it!

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
In Poperinge, Hotel de la Paix is very nice, good food in their restaurant too (and they'll store bikes in a garage).
Thanks, I'll check the prices...we're on a budget...I'd bookmarked the Palace which doesn't look posh but hopefully the rooms will be big enough to take the bike

jay clock

Massive member
I have rarely been in a French hotel that would be keen for you to have a bike in the room. Have also never been in one that has failed to come up with a safe dry storage place

andrew_s

Legendary Member
The Palace has a large courtyard round the back, closed off from the street, accessed from an oversized garage door in the street round the corner. When I've stayed at the Palace, the bikes went in & out that way, and were kept in a large room on the back of the hotel, which was used as a ballroom the first trip, and a wedding reception dining area the second trip. (Some time ago now, more recent trips have been based at Ieper.)

You could also consider Talbot House (Toc-H)

mjr

I'd not had a problem in Belgium. Room or garage. Not yet outside.

Furnes/Veurne was the Belgian de facto capital in WW1, and I think it'd be worth visiting the Dodengang on the way between Furnes and Ypres if you've not seen similar.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Thanks, think that'll be too many miles (we are looking at 50km not 50 miles a day, I've done 40 today and I'm knackered, there's no way I would be able to do the same tomorrow

Also on point 1, we'll be getting the 2pm ferry so doubt we will leave Dunkirk before 5 and as we are maybe 12mph average cyclists we wouldn't get to Ypres by 8pm :smile:

We will want to visit some stuff too, so we won't be cycling all day :smile:

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Decided against this for now, neither of us are fit enough at the mo for a mutil day 'tour' even 40 miles a day

We're going to have an overnighter in Norfolk instead to visit a well-known purveyor of bicycles made from a material beginning with the letter T... :whistle: :blush:

mjr

We're going to have an overnighter in Norfolk instead to visit a well-known purveyor of bicycles made from a material beginning with the letter T... :whistle: :blush:
Fatbirds? You do know they've been bought by Pedal Revolution and moved from Hunstanton to North Lynn a month or so ago? Somewhat less scenic but not difficult to reach from National Route 1 (continue alongside the A road over the traffic lights the instead of following Route 1 where it turns left for Lynnsport, then ignore the sign at the next road telling motorists to turn left into it - the shop has an obvious direct access from the cycleway).

Top Bottom