Mini tour of the peak District...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
Fancy a tour of the peak District! Anyone got a route?

Bradford to Ashbourne via Glossop RTN via Sheffield? Which way?

I'm thinking Sheffield on way out Glossop on way back to pick up SW winds?!

And south peaks campsites.

Any one fancy joining me? Date tbc....

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
I'm thinking if doing this tomorrow?
Anyone camp in autumn?
I have 4 season bag and thermal jacket so should be fine?
Huddersfield for parkrun, the onto Glossop and Buxton spoons for tea. Camp nearby and then over to Sheffield and rtn via penistone...

Big John

Guru
Crikey, that's gonna be a bit nippy. If you're around the Buxton area you'll be visiting Castleton I guess. If so enjoy Winnats Pass.

albion

Guru
Train to Sheffield. Take cycle path then along Ringinglow Rd.
Admire Stanage Edge.
Pop into Bakewell.
Take cheap room at Hartington Hall, a fantastic base.
A day ride from there takes you down the Tissington Trail then maybe Matlock, back via Cromford and the High Peak Trail.

Another option is Edale YHA for a walk over Mam Tor. From Edale it is a nice ride to Bugsworth Basin for Manchester. You can bypass Winnats pass.
Doable on a road bike.
edit - darn it, weather is naff for next week. I am due a visit.

Last edited:
I'm thinking if doing this tomorrow?
Anyone camp in autumn?
I have 4 season bag and thermal jacket so should be fine?
Huddersfield for parkrun, the onto Glossop and Buxton spoons for tea. Camp nearby and then over to Sheffield and rtn via penistone...

I love this time of the year for touring. Not so much for the cycling but those long, dark, quiet nights can be great for the soul.
A good book in the peace and quiet, some uninterrupted music or just some muted phone, contemplation time can be great.
I'd always pack a treat - a warming treat - like mulled wine or hot chocolate (some rum for the kick) and food would be some home made chili, or similar, that I just need to heat up and eat with some crusty bread. I use a flask so the hot drink stays hot for hours.
A pee bottle can help with not having to get up in the middle of the cold, possibly wet, night. Just make sure you screw the cap on well ^_^

Condensation can be an issue in the tent so try to be ventilated and drying the tent out when at home is important, too. A cheapy survival blanket on the sleeping mat can boost comfort too. If very cold and a tad claustrophobic a balaclava can keep the head and ears toasty. A liner for the sleeping bag is always a good idea. A four season bag may be overkill at times and a liner lets us ventilate the bag while still being protected from the worst of the draughts.

If your tent has a silicone/nylon fly be prepared for it to sag as it cools down. Best thing is to pitch it as asap, then later before bed to re-peg or re-tension the guystrings.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Well it went well tbh.

Early 7am start Saturday cold and firstly brighouse thermometer said 0c at about 8am.
Coffee and posh cossant in holmfirth.

IMG-20231111-WA0000.jpeg

IMG-20231111-WA0002.jpeg

Steady ride up Holm moss, I find it's the easiest big hill I know of tbh.
IMG-20231111-WA0004.jpeg

IMG-20231111-WA0006.jpeg

Lovely but cold decent into Glossop and a brief time at the temperance service before Greg's hot chocolate.

IMG-20231111-WA0010.jpeg

The over to Buxton on the main road which was the hilly option!

Worst ever Fish and chips in Buxton I was hungry and tired so forgot about the spoons I had in mind. A tandem couple (perhaps cyclechat members?) told me about the monsal trail which avoids the busy A6, but was busy with Peds and I didn't have a bell.

Blackwell was busy and had a tea and cake whilst I sorted a campsite.

Pint in pub at £6! Pub had hour weigh so I went to coop and brought ravioli for tea and cycled to campsite. £3.50 no facilities apart from toilet and sink.

Campsite was up a half mile bumpy track and was greeted by a scout leader who apologised for the noisy youngsters no need I replied I have 4 at home!

https://www.peakdistrict.org/eric-b...rial campsite,facilities on offer to visitors

They were early to bed as I was. Ravioli and pint so late didn't sit well tbh. Slept well after about midnight and woke to the lads talking in the morning!

Porriage in a tub poor is a poor substitute for the real thing and the scouts had the same standards are dropping!!

Sunday was cold and damp nice ride up over the moor to Sheffield. Where I popped into a remembrance service for coffee and phone charge up!

Bk in Sheffield and pressed on over penistone in the rain and cold mcd coffee in brighouse to warm me up.

Back by 5pm.

Last edited:
Lovely pics, I've done a few rides around Peak District, it's very pretty.

Last one I visited Whalley Bridge, with the dam that nearly broke. I went down the Peak Forest Canal which is one 9f the prettiest canal.

OP
OP
Jameshow

Jameshow

Veteran
Lovely pics, I've done a few rides around Peak District, it's very pretty.

Last one I visited Whalley Bridge, with the dam that nearly broke. I went down the Peak Forest Canal which is one 9f the prettiest canal.

Yes so much to explore!

I must go again preferably in the summer!!

Top Bottom