Mini v-brake cable routing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dfthe1

Hi,

I'm replacing cantilever brakes with mini v-brakes. Before I start cutting cables I thought I'd check I'm doing it right, if anyone can help?!

The brake cable for the front canti was in an outer all the way to this silver cable-stop. It was then bare down to the brake. With the mini v, I think it needs to be in an outer all the way to the noodle. So can I just add a short stretch of outer, with ferrules, from the silver cable-stop to the noodle?

For the rear, the cable currently goes along the top of the top tube, with cable stops at each end. There's then an extra cable stop above the rear brake allowing a short piece of outer to go round the seat post to another cable stop. This final stop is very close to where the noodle begins, but the angles are along wrong. So is it OK to just bypass this final stop an send a outer from the final stop on the top tube straight to the noodle?

Hope that all makes sense?!

Thanks.

Attachments

• DSCN1593.jpg
    DSCN1593.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 97
  • DSCN1594.jpg
    DSCN1594.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1601.jpg
    DSCN1601.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 100

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I don't think V brakes need those final stops. They are the actual hanger required to brace the outer for the inner to pull against. I will go and have a look at one of my bikes that also use to run cantilevers but now has V brakes.

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I'm not sure if the mini bit makes a difference. As far as I'm aware I only have full sized brakes. Here are a couple of pics. The bike, a Saracen has internal rear cable so has to run a full length outer. You can just make out the rear hanger:
image.jpg

The front also runs full outer. Way back the hanger was integral to the stem:

image.jpg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
With the front I'd remove the silver brake cable bracket and replace it with a suitable head spacer and run cable outer direct into the noodle and the rear you just need to bypass the cable bracket again with outer straight into the noodle.
I had to do similar when I converted my Ridgeback but I went for V-brakes (instead of mini-Vs) as I was fitting V brake lever/shifters (the bike originally had 'revoshift' and there was only 1 side left on the handlebars so conversion was a no-brainer)

Top Bottom