Mini-V brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zoiders

The pads have had it or the other fix is to take them off and swap the brake block spacers spacers around to move the blocks closer to the rim.

One spacer is thicker than the other you see.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
do you have the 3 holes for mounting the spring? if so then I'd try a mix and match between those, the spacers washers and the limit screws. Bit trial and error I'm afraid, but you'll really know the brakes by the end of it :biggrin:

MacB

did you fit new pads or entire cartidge with bolt etc? either way did you compare new to old and what differences were there? Beyond that I'd be struggling to think of anything, personally I'd opt for full size v's and Tektro drop bar v brake levers. Appreciate that's a whole world of hassle and cost that maybe isn't what's required though.

Zoiders

[QUOTE 1411920"]
Il Pompino. The blue one, so not that old.
[/quote]If you own a MTB with V's or a hybrid with V's get a ruler and compare the distance between the posts on the two to that on the pomp.

just jim

DSCF7178_2.jpg

These are Tektro mini-v's (via a Travel Agent) on a Kaffenback frame - same design as a Pompino but with mech hanger and "that" brown colour.

MacB

I think the alignment in that pic is good, it's certainly the sort of appearance I'd be aiming for. Look forward to seeing the detailed pics tomorrow, then we can try and make a hash of it for you at a distance :biggrin:

just jim

I tried these Dia-Compe brakes and found the same thing happening. There's no room for the squishy bit - the boot, so I left it out.
It may be the design of the Dia-Compe though admittedly they look pretty similiar. The Tektro versions just seemed to fit better. Note there is just enough room on the Tektros for the boot to fit in. Braking was a bit of a puzzle with this bike and took a bit of work to get it right.

Can you slide the blocks down more and level them out - there looks to be a bit more room. Then you can slacken off the cable a bit. You then will have to deal with all the cable slack. That's what the Travel Agent is for. MacB, any thoughts? :biggrin:

I have fitted Tektro Oryx brakes to the front as the mini-vs wouldn't give enough clearance for the mudguard bridge. Fitting Cantis led to a bit of an issue too, due to the forward position of the gear cable bosses. Anyway, it all works well enough now.

Alun

Guru
Try a couple of additional washers on each stud next to the brake pad to move the arms out a bit, hopefully you will have enough thread to allow this.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Additionally, if you are in danger of running out of thread as a last resort you could also insert a couple of washers between the noodle and its catch, but not too many obviously.

I think the reason why you are encountering the problem is because you are using rims that are narrower than the frame and/or brake designers had assumed.

e-rider

crappy member
this is a combination of several things:

the post mount position and the rim width are not compatible with those mini Vs.

you could fool about with them for a year and make no progress. As you can't change the posts, you could either fit wider rims, or change the brakes.

You are going to have all kinds of problems once the pads wear down a bit!

Top Bottom