Minimal tool kit for a bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm making a list of things to take when I move to Freiburg next month, and thinking about tools for the bike (and for the apartment but that's another thread)

What is the accepted wisdom in minimal tools to take for keeping a bike going for daily commuting and some longer rides?

I'll be going back to the family every week or two so I can safely leave some things, but obviously I need to be prepared for everyday stuff. I'm not sure I need much more than my usual "touring" kit, plus perhaps a few spanners, but what do other people suggest?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Why don't you list what you plan to take (ie your "usual 'touring' kit") and invite us to suggest other stuff?

Why don't you list what you plan to take (ie your "usual 'touring' kit") and invite us to suggest other stuff?

Fair enough. Not for the first time, I'm assuming that if I know what I mean, so should everyone else...

Small pump
Multitool
Puncture kit
Tyre levers
Inner tube

Currently adding a 15mm spanner because I'm using the "Emergency" front wheel until I get myself into gear to repair the normal QR one.

To this I'll add a hex key set and probably 8 and 10mm ring spanners.

alicat

Legendary Member
It depends on what you have spares of, how much room you have when transporting, how much storage room in the Freiburg flat etc. I'd go for less rather than more. You can always use an LBS in Freiburg and take more stuff later on.

12boy

Guru
A spoke wrench, 8mm wrench, crank puller, BB tool, chain ring nut wrench, cable/cable housing cutter, chain breaker, set of wrenches 8 to 14 mm and a big crescent wrench in addition to your present stuff would allow you to disassemble pretty much anything. Throwing in some shots of a tool roll I take with on the bike and a box I made for the stay at home stuff. Not shown is a little jar of grease , a vetinary syringe with 5/20 synthetic oil, and a snuff tin with cable housing ferrules and cable ends.

Attachments

• IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    IMG_20200123_091141.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20190130_151659.jpg
    IMG_20190130_151659.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 17

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Fair enough. Not for the first time, I'm assuming that if I know what I mean, so should everyone else...

Small pump
Multitool
Puncture kit
Tyre levers
Inner tube

Currently adding a 15mm spanner because I'm using the "Emergency" front wheel until I get myself into gear to repair the normal QR one.

To this I'll add a hex key set and probably 8 and 10mm ring spanners.
Well I'd add another tube but that would be all.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Go over the bike and work out what it actually needs. Pretty sure you’ll only need 3 or 4 Allen keys, maybe one screwdriver and a spanner. Then any component-specific tools: bottom bracket, cassette, chain etc. Cable management tools - cutter and crimper. Torque wrench if you feel the need. Tyre levers and/or anything you use for tubeless (if relevant). Then general stuff like pliers, cable ties, duct tape and lubricants.

si_c

Guru
With limited tools but a regular base, I'd probablt take what you already have, plus a spare wheelset - it's easier to swap out a wheel with a broken spoke than try to repair it without proper tools, also a cassette removal tool and chain whip as well as quicklink pliers for removing the chain and lastly a pair of cable cutters. With that all available you should be able to go for a full year without needing anything significant including replacing all cables as needed.

Should you have disk brakes I'd probably take a bleed kit too.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
You've pretty much nailed it for the purpose you describe.

I've never had much luck with hand held pumps, plus I like an idea of pressure so would take a track pump - unless space really is a premium.

Another tube or two as others have said.

Top Bottom