Minimum clearance for Carradice SQR + are there other bags that require less?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thothotho

Hi!

I am very interested in the Carradice SQR Saddle Bag, the gray one or the Slim version. However I am concerned about the 25cm clearance that is needed. Right now I have a few cm to little. Are there other bags that requires less clearance that are as stable as the SQR?

Best,
Elias

Old jon

Guru
Hmmm, I looked but cannot find the bag on their site, can you post a link?

andrew_s

Legendary Member
However I am concerned about the 25cm clearance that is needed. Right now I have a few cm to little.
I assume that you mean this bit (from the Carradice page for the grey Carradry SQR)
"Clearance Required from top of seat post to space above rear wheel, 25 cms. minimum.".

The SQR removal action is to first lift the bag so the bag frame clears the upper prong of the mounting block. This sets a limit on how close to the saddle the block can be placed. The bag is then rotated backwards, which lowers the bottom of the bag, and then dropped downwards until the mounting frame clears the lower prong of the mounting block, at which point the bottom of the bag defines the required clearance.

I've no reason to suppose that Carradice's clearances are wrong, but you could manage with less clearance if some of the bag contents are easily removable (eg in a stuff sack). Taking something out would allow the wheel or mudguard to push the bottom of the bag upwards during removal.

An alternative would be one of the Originals style saddlebags (the Nelson Longflap is much the same size as the Carradry SQR), fitted to a Bagman, an SQR Uplift, or a Classic Uplift*.

The Bagman Sport needs a minimum of 18 cm between saddle rails and mudguard
The Bagman Expedition needs a minimum of 20 cm between saddle rails and mudguard
If you use the Camper Longflap or the Super C saddlebag, the Bagman Expedition is really required.
In practice, the quoted clearance is a minimum, because if the bag is heavily laden, it will bounce on rough roads, leading to the rear part of the frame hitting the mudguard, quite hard on occasion.
I think that it's worth paying the extra for the QR versions.

The Classic Uplift only needs around 12 cm as the top of the saddlebag is above (and behind) the top of the saddle. You do however need to use a Brooks B17 or similar saddle (eg Spa Nidd), that has bag loops integrated with the back of the saddle.

The SQR Uplift does hold a saddlebag at a similar height to the Classic Uplift, but has the same lift, tip back and lower removal action as the dedicated SQR bags. A drawback is that there's not really any way of getting the required clearance short of finding someone using one with the same saddlebag you intend to buy, and asking, or just buying it on a try it and see basis.

I call it an Uplift because the design is a rip-off of the long defunct Karrimor Uplift.

Last edited:
Top Bottom