Minor collision

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

benjus

My first post on this forum - I used to be a member of C+ and still hang around BR but there seems to be more action here.

On my commute this morning I was approaching the mini-roundabout at the top of Greenwich park (where it meets Blackheath, by the main gates). I checked to my right and it was clear, so I proceeded onto the mini roundabout. Unfortunately the dozy driver coming from the left decided she wasn't going to give way to me (or just didn't check) and entered the mini-roundabout at the same time. Fortunately she saw me eventually and we were both braking hard when we collided so there was no damage to me or my bike.

I glared at her and she looked totally shocked and waved apologetically. I just continued on my way.

At the time I just felt shaken up - I didn't have any desire to confront the driver or do anything other than get out of there... what do you lot think I should have done? Spoken to the driver? Contacted the police?

Cab

You probably should have insisted that she stop and wait while you checked to make sure there was no damage, and then asked for her details anyway just in case you noticed a twisted knee or some trivial damage to the bike later. My own experience though is that sometimes they can get very aggressive if you take that line. Doesn't mean that its the wrong approach though.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i would have launched myself across the bonnet and laid in the road giving it my best performance (unlike that footballer at the weekend who got a slap in the face and waited a whole minute before falling over!) claimed for psychological damage (and any physical damage i could convincegly blagg) (yea i know i've spelt that wrong but what the hell) and then when the money came through i would have gone to the shop and bought a shiny new bike :biggrin:

but then that's me, and you lot are probably more honest! :biggrin:

zimzum42

Legendary Member
That only works if the referee is looking.

Chances of a copper being there when you throw your dive are slim......

ChrisW

"My first post on this forum - I used to be a member of C+ and still hang around BR but there seems to be more action here."

Yep, i look at both but bit better here...

Not a lot you can do in those circumstances especially if she was apologetic anyway.

Hope the confidence comes back.

zimzum42 said:
That only works if the referee is looking.

Chances of a copper being there when you throw your dive are slim......

Of course if you were wearing a helmet camera you'd have video evidence! :biggrin:

To the OP, you probably did the right thing. Just be aware that as cab says sometimes you don't notice damage/injury at the time, so getting details can be a good idea.

Cab

magnatom said:
Just be aware that as cab says sometimes you don't notice damage/injury at the time, so getting details can be a good idea.

Precisely.

And when you've just had a collision or near collision, you'll have plenty of adrenaline pumping through you. You'll probably want to just get away, get back on, escape. Its not necessarily a good idea to rush off and follow that instinct. Take a deep breath, calm down as best you can, think about whether there is any possibility that you or your bike might be damaged.

OP
OP
B

benjus

Thanks for the responses... I needed to vent that! I guess I'd have felt differently if the driver had been aggressive or had done it deliberately.

You'll probably want to just get away, get back on, escape.

Yes, that pretty much sums it up. I can see it would have been better to take it slowly and check thoroughly for damage.

One of the most important things to do in the event of a cycle / motorbike crash that results in the rider hitting the ground is to lie still. DO NOT jump right up - in the first few seconds after everything stops moving you won't feel the pain that could signal something very bad has happened to you, and jumping up could make things so much worse.

I was taught by my racing instructor to that there are 3 stages to go through after a crash.

Stage 1
Lie still and wait for the pain, when it comes and if it is manageable start by wiggling your toes and then move up your body, clench your leg muscles, clench your stomach muscles, wiggle your fingers, clench your arm muscles, blink, open and close your mouth, don't move your neck if it hurts at all, if it seems ok very slowly give it a limited tip forwards, back wards then side to side but don't roll it. If at any point your neck starts to hurt, just relax and wait for professional help.

Stage 2
Once all the preliminary muscle checks are done, carefully raise yourself to a seated position and wait a minute to make sure you are going to be able to manage to stand up. Again check your neck movement. With help of an onlooker (if possible) pull yourself up using their hand as resistence, do not allow them to try to lift you.

Stage 3
Have a little pad around to satisfy yourself that you are indeed mostly ok, pay particular attention to what your back is saying. Decide then how you want to proceede.

Peoples time is FAR less important than your wellbeing, and if you cause a dely by lying in the road for 5 minutes they can just suck it up - look after yourself first, deal with any repercussions afterwards. Remember, they aren't the ones who have just taken a big slice of Tarmac Pie.

Other important info:

* Remain lying in the position you naturally come to rest until you have done the first set of checks. No matter how much it hurts, try not to move, you can really make things worse by doing so.

* If you can't complete Stage 1 either because it hurts too much, or because some of you doesn't respond lie still and wait for professional help.

* NEVER let anyone but paramedics remove your helmet unless you have completed Stage 3, and you should still only remove it yourself, and bloody crefully too.

* Plead / scream / swear / spit - do whatever it takes to stop concerned passers by touching or moving you. They are only trying to help but it is possible (in a worst case) that in their concern they could kill / paralyse you.

* Do NOT drink any proffered water etc. until you are happy you have passed Stage 3

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No probs there dude... you were OK so nothing more than a OK wave then off is all you need.... her fault.... Good job it wasn't a car then it would be a fortune for her...

Sometimes it is a good idea to get up depending on the state of the traffic behind you.

When the chain jumped and I went over the handlebars in the Leyton High Road a few years ago I thought it was a good idea to get out of the road as there was a car behind me.

Depends on circumstances I guess.

Top Bottom