Minor races 2020 **SPOILERS**

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
That section was insane. Loads of riders were falling over and getting stuck.

MvdP was a bit sniffy afterwards and declared the parcours "unworthy of a World Cup"!
Yes, slightly, although he did give credit to WvA.
I don't think he was the only one to complain but the weather and prep was pretty awful. I know little or nothing about what a WC course should be like but I love watching the raw effort from the riders.

Adam4868

Guru
Personally I don't give the Olympics much kudos. No more than any other tough one day race.
Especially as MVDP is going for the mtb?
Need to start a new thread for 2021 Adam!
Ok cause you've said it....Olympics me neither !
It would be bad luck to start new thread now ? I'll do it tommorow when the hangover has worn off....maybe Monday in that case.
All the best to all Adam

bitsandbobs

Über Member
New Year's Day cross from Belgium. New kit day!

Alvarado edged out Brand to takes the womens race.

Iserbyt back in the men's. WvA riding a bike in jumbo livery. Assume its so he can stick with bianchi, rather than switching to cervelo.

Edit: Pidcock third after MvdP and WvA. Good work from Iserbyt to grab 4th.
Good start to the season for Alpecin-Fenix with both their world champs running out winners

Last edited:

bitsandbobs

Über Member
Personally I don't give the Olympics much kudos. No more than any other tough one day race.
Especially as MVDP is going for the mtb?
Need to start a new thread for 2021 Adam!

Not really sure why MvdP has such a bee in his bonnet over the MTB race. I'd have thought there were more kudos in the TdF. Last year it made sense as AF didn't have an invite, but giving up a TdF ride smacks of a decision that's gonna bite you on the bum. Especially given the age of recent TdF winners. MvdP is 26 in a couple of weeks time.

Adam4868

Guru
Not really sure why MvdP has such a bee in his bonnet over the MTB race. I'd have thought there were more kudos in the TdF. Last year it made sense as AF didn't have an invite, but giving up a TdF ride smacks of a decision that's gonna bite you on the bum. Especially given the age of recent TdF winners. MvdP is 26 in a couple of weeks time.
There again does he have less competition for a gold medal than the Tour de France...I'd say so.

lyn1

Über Member
But he is not going to the Tour to compete against the potential winners. Given his lack of experience he would also only be an outsider for the green jersey, so its about stage wins. An Olympic gold against a couple of stage wins (which loads of riders have) is probably a sound calculation.

bitsandbobs

Über Member
But he is not going to the Tour to compete against the potential winners. Given his lack of experience he would also only be an outsider for the green jersey, so its about stage wins. An Olympic gold against a couple of stage wins (which loads of riders have) is probably a sound calculation.

In the UK, yes, olympics are a big deal, but in NL I'd have thought even a stage win would have more currency than an Olympic MTB medal. Looks like MvdP agrees with you though!

Anyhow, how about this for a bit of trivia. I read this week that MvdP was until quite recently the the second most followed dutch pro cyclist on Instagram. Care to guess who was the most followed (now in 2nd place)?

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
In the UK, yes, olympics are a big deal, but in NL I'd have thought even a stage win would have more currency than an Olympic MTB medal. Looks like MvdP agrees with you though!

Anyhow, how about this for a bit of trivia. I read this week that MvdP was until quite recently the the second most followed dutch pro cyclist on Instagram. Care to guess who was the most followed (now in 2nd place)?
I'd guess as Rich pointed out it'll have a lot to do with sponsorship.Im sure the article I initially read said as much.
As for your quiz is it a female rider ?

lyn1

Über Member
Yes, but she's never come even close to winning a race so far as l know. In fact, I dont think she managed to finish a race in 2020.
My thoughts as well. To be ahead of MvdP it must be someone who has a lot to offer on a platform based on photographs and possibly assets or interest/ activity levels beyond their current cycling prowess. I would go for Puck Moonen.

Top Bottom