Minor tumble.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Graham W

On my daily commute through London yesterday I had slightly more interaction than I would have liked with a pedestrian. And then the pavement.

The story went like this: I was trundling along, not too fast, with right of way, along Wigmore street; 3 idiots start crossing the road into my path. I shout, 2 of them see me and stop, the third doesn’t. I slowed down, still shouting, thinking she isn’t going to keep going is she? Oh yes she is. Unfortunately, I couldn’t quite stop in time, so she collided with my shoulder knocking me over.

Fortunately, by the time we made contact, I had virtually stopped so it was an almost comedy tip over onto the pavement. Had I not been clipped-in (and new to it too) I would probably not have gone over. She and her colleagues did at least stop to make sure I was ok (I was) and that the bike wasn’t broken (it wasn’t).

I guess if you have to come off, doing it at this speed is the one you want, although perhaps a softer landing would have been nicer.

Now maybe I haven’t taken this as seriously as I should but I do certainly acknowledge that I was very lucky here. And I’ve learned three things from it:

- Learn to up-clip quicker
- Learn to shout louder
- Ensure I have my polite but withering insults ready (they were coming to me thick and fast on the way home…)

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
On my daily commute through London yesterday I had slightly more interaction than I would have liked with a pedestrian. And then the pavement.

The story went like this: I was trundling along, not too fast, with right of way, along Wigmore street; 3 idiots start crossing the road into my path. I shout, 2 of them see me and stop, the third doesn’t. I slowed down, still shouting, thinking she isn’t going to keep going is she? Oh yes she is. Unfortunately, I couldn’t quite stop in time, so she collided with my shoulder knocking me over.

Fortunately, by the time we made contact, I had virtually stopped so it was an almost comedy tip over onto the pavement. Had I not been clipped-in (and new to it too) I would probably not have gone over. She and her colleagues did at least stop to make sure I was ok (I was) and that the bike wasn’t broken (it wasn’t).

I guess if you have to come off, doing it at this speed is the one you want, although perhaps a softer landing would have been nicer.

Now maybe I haven’t taken this as seriously as I should but I do certainly acknowledge that I was very lucky here. And I’ve learned three things from it:

- Learn to shout louder
- Ensure I have my polite but withering insults ready (they were coming to me thick and fast on the way home…)

Nearly had a similar thing happen on a cycle path the other day when the 2 of the 3 people in front of me couldn't make up their minds which side of the cycle path to go to, so ensued a sort of comedy crossing and re-crossing of the bike path as one followed the other and I wobbled to a stop just avoiding a TIMBER moment :rolleyes:

- Learn to shout louder
d) Learn to track stand :rolleyes:

Davidsw8

I don't think I'll ever understand how a person could walk in to a road, especially in Central London, and not look...

Glad you're ok anyway.

I don't think I'll ever understand how a person could walk in to a road, especially in Central London, and not look...

Glad you're ok anyway.
Peds can be so random, Ive seen one suddenly start running and run into the side of a stationary double decker bus, they were only bright maroon (Lothian Bus) and there was only 3 of them (bus only street); I suppose it was easy to miss the one in front :rolleyes:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
It's the parents who push their buggy into the road before the traffic's past by that get me... thankfully not literally.

Davidsw8

Peds can be so random, Ive seen one suddenly start running and run into the side of a stationary double decker bus, they were only bright maroon (Lothian Bus) and there was only 3 of them (bus only street); I suppose it was easy to miss the one in front :rolleyes:

I was thinking that maybe being a cyclist gives you an extra awareness for when you're a pedestrian so you keep an eye out for cyclists when crossing the road.

Saying that, I've always been able to bring myself to look both ways... ^_^

Ciar

Veteran
I had this a couple of times the other day, I ended up slowing up because they were too stupid to realise the bit they were walking on was a road and i also passed behind both individuals easier to do that, as you just know they are going to speed up if you try to pass in front.......

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
Sods law,you always make a prat of yourself when you are new to SPD's or whatever,at least I did.:whistle:

Now I have done 10000+ miles on fixie with no probs,but a few of my workmates wont use them.

OP
OP
G

Graham W

Sods law,you always make a prat of yourself when you are new to SPD's or whatever,at least I did.:whistle:

Now I have done 10000+ miles on fixie with no probs,but a few of my workmates wont use them.

I thought I was going well. Nearly two weeks in and remaining upright.
Oh well, at least it's out of the way now...

michaelcycle

I have seen the exact same thing here in London - a pedestrian running slap bang into the side of the stationary red, double decker bus they wanted to catch. Wouldn't you just...stop?

kipster

Guru
It's normally school kids where I commute, they never look further than their phone. I came of worse when one step out in front of me, it involved a visit to A&E.

Top Bottom