Mio or Garmin

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeD111

Afternoon,
I'm looking for a cycle computer with Bluetooth for phone link but I want turn by turn nav like the Mio 500 or Garmin Touring offers.
Can anyone recommend some other options?
Ideally around the £120-£180 range and would happily consider used.

Thanks
Mike

NorvernRob

Any particular reason you want the turn by turn navigation? I find the breadcrumb trail on the cheaper Garmins really easy to follow, and if I want to pinpoint anything I just use the mapping on my phone.

NorvernRob

To be honest I'm not sure but i like the idea of it. It's easy and clear to see.

My friend has a Garmin 810. He actually doesn't use the detailed navigation because he says it makes the screen too cluttered and not as easy to follow as the breadcrumb trail. I've never tried it personally though, I just know the breadcrumb on the 200 is dead easy to follow for 100+ miles and alerts you straight away if you take a wrong turn.

OP
OP
MikeD111

MikeD111

When I ride sometimes I have no idea where I'm going which is why I think the Nav might be a better option. I'm new to the area and the ability to work out how to get home without turning around is very appealing :smile:

G3CWI

Veteran
the ability to work out how to get home without turning around is very appealing :smile:

The reality is less appealing. My Edge Touring has got me into a mess on just about every time I have got it to plan a route of more than a few miles. It's fine in many ways but I think it is probably let down by errors in the mapping.

OP
OP
MikeD111

MikeD111

Managed to offer an eBay user £120 for the Touring with cover and up front mount brand new and it was accepted. Will be collecting tomorrow as its local :smile:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
The reality is less appealing. My Edge Touring has got me into a mess on just about every time I have got it to plan a route of more than a few miles. It's fine in many ways but I think it is probably let down by errors in the mapping.

Which mapping do you have installed OSM or the Garmin map?

OP
OP
MikeD111

MikeD111

I've been out for 30 miles and 15 miles using it and very impressed.
Start stop function auto is very good!
GPS was spot on.
Think it might be a few MPH out though ;) (jokes)

steveindenmark

Legendary Member

Just to put the other side over. Ive used my touring all over Europe and dont have problems with it. I found out at the start that if I am riding a 30 mile route and am plotting it at the side of the road, the touring works far better if I add waypoints every 5 miles. It does not like to calculator and plot long distances. But it will always get you to where you want to go.

If you plot a route on a pc and download it to the touring it never goes wrong, in my experience.

I dont know the Mio but the touring turn by turn works very well and gives you plenty of notice. You need to play with the touring for quite a long time to find out what it does. But I like it.

I use Plotaroute for mapping

Top Bottom