Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker man

Hi I don't see many bikes with mirrors does anyone have them on there bikes love to know if they are any good .

carpiste

Guru
It`s just so easy to look over your shoulder, and they would take up even more room on your bars. Not for me thanks.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I have a small Cateye bar-end mirror. It’s very useful for monitoring what’s behind and helpful for those with neck problems (or who ride recumbents).

I do.

It depends on your style of riding really.
- If you only want to know what's behind you when making a manoeuvre, or if you believe you can determine what's behind you adequately using sound only, then there's not a lot of point having a mirror since you're going to be much better off pointing your head backwards and checking thoroughly when you need to.
- On the other hand, if you like to have a constant, visual awareness of what's happening behind you, as you do when driving a car and using mirrors, then they're invaluable, though you'll still need to turn your head to check before making manoeuvres involving changing line, such as a right turn.

They're of marginal use in busy, town traffic, but excellent in the countryside to provide very early awareness of vehicles approaching.

I use tracks and paths a lot - a lot of them have those barriers on them to stop motorbikes
Generally I can wiggle my bike through without too much trouble - but if I extend the bike out sideway witha mirror I think I will have problems with them

I would like one - if nothing else to warn about silent "road bike and lycra" that pass without warning coming from directly behind

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I do.

It depends on your style of riding really.
- If you only want to know what's behind you when making a manoeuvre, or if you believe you can determine what's behind you adequately using sound only, then there's not a lot of point having a mirror since you're going to be much better off pointing your head backwards and checking thoroughly when you need to.
- On the other hand, if you like to have a constant, visual awareness of what's happening behind you, as you do when driving a car and using mirrors, then they're invaluable, though you'll still need to turn your head to check before making manoeuvres involving changing line, such as a right turn.

They're of marginal use in busy, town traffic, but excellent in the countryside to provide very early awareness of vehicles approaching.
I use tracks and paths a lot - a lot of them have those barriers on them to stop motorbikes
Generally I can wiggle my bike through without too much trouble - but if I extend the bike out sideway witha mirror I think I will have problems with them

I would like one - if nothing else to warn about silent "road bike and lycra" that pass without warning coming from directly behind
Yes me and a pal where on the Wirral way cycle path one overtook us brushed my pals shoulder no bell no shout behind crazy .

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I do, my right eye is not good even though I wear glasses and I have trouble turning my neck right round so I bought a Blackburn mirror https://www.blackburndesign.com/c/bike-mirrors (one in the middle) for my road bike. A lot of people on here will say, it's not the same as looking round, well it works for car drivers.
What I do in heavy traffic, I'm looking in my mirror all the time, just a quick glance so I know what is happening all the time from behind. If I want to turn right check mirror if there is a car close by I turn my head as to look round to give him some indication what I'm going to do, then I give a hand signal.
Now using a recumbent trike two mirrors are a must, for turning round is not an option.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I had a bar end one when I first got a trailer to keep an eye on what the trailer was doing, after about 3 weeks the bike fell over when parked and the mirror snapped off. Didn't replace it

OP
OP
B

Biker man

I do, my right eye is not good even though I wear glasses and I have trouble turning my neck right round so I bought a Blackburn mirror https://www.blackburndesign.com/c/bike-mirrors (one in the middle) for my road bike. A lot of people on here will say, it's not the same as looking round, well it works for car drivers.
What I do in heavy traffic, I'm looking in my mirror all the time, just a quick glance so I know what is happening all the time from behind. If I want to turn right check mirror if there is a car close by I turn my head as to look round to give him some indication what I'm going to do, then I give a hand signal.
Now using a recumbent trike two mirrors are a must, for turning round is not an option.
Thanks I will check them out I always signal when turning right.Last Sunday I turned left off the A5 into a cafe place woman in a car turning in behind me blew the horn and shouted abuse at me . It's like a war zone some days .

Drago

Legendary Member
They are largely useless. If you are fortunate enough to find some that work halfway decent their use will quickly become a substitute for proper observation, such is human nature, unless you've been trained with the drills to prevent this happening.

There's a hierarchy of human laziness. Next is the indicators, which quickly become a substitute for even looking in the mirrors properly, and so on.

If you value your life you will rely on the Mk1 Human Eyeball, and will use it diligently to scan all around, and not just steadfastly ahead like most riders.

Sharky

Guru
Used a bar end mirror following a broken collor bone when it was difficult twisting my head.

They are good to tell you when it's NOT safe to move out, but not reliable to assume that it's OK to move out. You still have to look backwards to make sure.

Also the action of looking back is a sign that a motorist will recognise and will anticipate you moving out.

No longer use one.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
This was reminding me that I'd like a mirror because I have difficulty looking over my shoulder, but is also true that if I had a mirror then I would tend to rely on it 100% of the time.

I must sort my stiff neck out first so I can look back when I need to, and then perhaps buy a mirror to be used the way that @Sea of vapours uses his.

Top Bottom