Mirrors

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I use an offside mirror on all my bikes. I ride a lot with Jannie and its handy to keep an eye of where she is. It is an aid and not a substitute for life saver checks. I find a mirror useful.

The ones I use are cheap, easy to fit, clear and do not vibrate.

Last edited:

Stul

Veteran
View: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009R96YK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I am amazed the amount of cyclists that don't have mirrors. To me they are as important / more important than helmets. I have now purchased 3 sets of the above and find them absolutely invaluable. I would consider them as essential as safety belts...but each to their own.
NB They were about £15 when I got them..not sure why they are now £30+.....probably brexit..or covid?

I bought a mirror from Aldi's recent selection of bike stuff. Not fitted it yet, though.
My eyesight in my right eye isn't reliable and turning my neck is slow and creaky, so a mirror will help in that respect - and I hope it'll give me advance warning of at least some of the lycra-clad and/or electric bike silent close overtakes, on the many cycle tracks I use.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be without my cheapo (flat)bar end mirror.

Handy for checking approaching traffic, and also for keeping track of the other riders on a group ride on the rare occasions I'm in front.

Over the shoulder checks are also good, but they make me swerve more than I would like.

I've clouted the mirror a few times on cycle path barriers, but there's rarely any damage done and a replacement is only five or six quid.

Mike_P

Guru
Although I fit mirrors to all my bikes I certainly do not rely on them and always look back. Contrary to a view above I find their real use is in busy traffic as they do show masses of approaching traffic without having to look back; many right turns have right turn lane so it's a matter of judging when to look back and move into it. Looking back is important as it warns an approaching motorist that you are about to signal right and undertake the manoeuvre. Having fitted a Varia to the road bike the mirror largely remains tucked under the drop bar but today a new mount for the Varia broke and I had to do a right turn on a busy A road.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Don't feel safe without a mirror on the right and a bell. Feels natural as I ride motorbikes a lot too. It's defo not a substitute but an addition - belt and braces, especially useful on the busy narrow lanes of the Pennines

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was riding along yesterday when I spotted another cyclist way up the road ahead of me. I gradually gained on him and when I got close enough I could see that he was probably well into his 70s. I was going to say hello to him as I passed but for some reason I stopped catching up. I tried a bit harder but the distance between us remained the same. This went on for some time until he suddenly slowed down to turn left into a pub car park. As I finally passed him I saw that he had a small mirror where the RH bar end plug is normally fitted... :whistle:

Top Bottom