Misleading information from BT.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just cancelled my BT tv subscription as I don't use it and received an email telling me that only through my BT box I can received Netflix and Prime. Wrong!! It is all installed on my smart TV, as well as YouTube and Freeview which is why I have cancelled BT.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
You can make a complaint through Ofcom. Do you have it in writing? I would make a complaint; you're not down any money but some people might have fallen for this lie and continued using a service they can't really afford

Milkfloat

An Peanut
You can still use your BT box and the apps on the even without a BT subscription. It is only the premium channels which will stop.

Levo-Lon

Guru
You can make a complaint through Ofcom. Do you have it in writing? I would make a complaint; you're not down any money but some people might have fallen for this lie and continued using a service they can't really afford

He received an Email so yes he has it in writing.

Fekin BT, i wont have them ever again

Globalti

Legendary Member
BT has to be the best example ever of a once-great company that gained a national monopoly and sat back on its laurels. Suddenly competition appeared and now BT is cornered and turning nasty. The company that employs me bought a massive depot from BT, I guess in about 1995, absolutely huge. They must have owned a fortune's worth of land and assets in the good old days when they had no need to compete.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

This is part of the email I received from BT.
upload_2019-6-14_20-20-20.png

Does that mean you have an Amazon Prime account? I'm not quite sure what your smart TV does or what might have been included with it but you need an account to access Amazon Prime. I have Netflix on my, let's say TV for brevity, but I don't have an account so can't use it.

If you have some kind of separate account then you can access Prime without BT, if you don't, then you won't be able to, they're not lying.

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Does that mean you have an Amazon Prime account? I'm not quite sure what your smart TV does or what might have been included with it but you need an account to access Amazon Prime. I have Netflix on my, let's say TV for brevity, but I don't have an account so can't use it.

If you have some kind of separate account then you can access Prime without BT, if you don't, then you won't be able to, they're not lying.
Yes, I have a Prime and Netflix account and don't need BT to access it, I get it all from my tv screen.

Yes, I have a Prime and Netflix account and don't need BT to access it, I get it all from my tv screen.
You actually have a separate account which you pay for somewhere. Prime is about £70 a year and Netflix a monthly subscription. The fact that you access them on the TV means nothing, they could be taking the login credentials from your BT account or, I don't know how old the TV is but perhaps you got a year or two gratis as part of the deal. I stress though, just because the app is on your tv doesn't mean you have access to it without an account. You must have an account somewhere, somehow, you don't get either for nothing.

U

User6179

My bet is you are paying Netflix and Amazon through BT, so if you cancel BT you are also cancelling Amazon and BT!?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Your TV has the apps, NOT the accounts!

I have the apps on my TV but can only access Netflix using one of my sister's spare logins and I could only access Prime for one month when I signed up for a trial subscription.

Top Bottom