Missing bit on rear cassette??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JonnyRat

Regular
Dear All, Apologies if this is a daft question (bear in mind I'm a grieving Welshman!!). I've just noticed that the clear plastic disc which was previously sited between the rear cassette and spokes on my Bianchi is missing after it was returned from my LBS following a service. Does this disc serve any important purpose (ie. stopping debris enter the gearing) or is it OK to ride without it? Aesthetically I have to say the bike looks better without, but I don't want a knackered derailleur in 6 months time!

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
You'll be fine without it. :smile:

It's there to stop your chain shifting into the spokes if the rear mech is not set up right, but if that is properly adjusted then that won't happen anyway.

It's also fashionable to remove them for some unknown reason.

gbb

Legendary Member
It's fine without. But there is a slight increased chance of wheel damage IF something goes wrong with your derailleur, if your mech hanger fails or in a crash, as stated, the derailleur could foul the spokes causing expensive damage.
It's like insurance...you'll probably never need it, but you'll be glad you had it if something goes wrong.

Personally, i refitted mine when i got the chance.

OP
OP
J

JonnyRat

Regular
Thanks all, have to say bike does look a lot nicer without, so will settle for that. 'Pie Plate'.... what a great name!

Top Bottom