Missing: Joe Blow

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemesis_252

Über Member
Is anyone aware of supply issues for the Topeak Joe Blow Sport III?

I have Halfords vouchers which I've been waiting to use on a track pump, but they haven't had the Joe Blow Sport in stock for months. When I look elsewhere, it appears to be a supply issue, as I can only find resellers on eBay with it available?

Assuming it is a supply issue with no end in sight, does anyone have any experience of others which Halfords do have in stock, specifically:

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-maintenance/bike-pumps/ice-toolz-a451-floor-pump-546434.html

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...umps/halfords-advanced-track-pump-228078.html

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bi...sks-airkompressor-12.0-track-pump-354669.html

It's to be used for a mix of Road, mtb, and kids bikes.

Thanks,
Michael

vickster

Legendary Member
Any will be fine as long as it fits both types of valves. I didnt personally like the Joe Blow I had so certainly wouldn’t hold out for one!

winjim

Smash the cistern
Nobody ever regretted buying a Rennkompressor. For kids bikes I use a hand pump as the head is a bit big to get between the spokes on a small wheel. But the Rennkompressor is the standard against which all other track pumps should be measured. It's potentially a bit tricky to read the gauge accurately as it does go up to ludicrously high pressure...

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=Rennkompressor

midlife

Guru
At the other end I’ve got a cheap Halfords track pump (about fifteen quid I think) does what it says on the tin for the last 6 years or more.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Nobody ever regretted buying a Rennkompressor. For kids bikes I use a hand pump as the head is a bit big to get between the spokes on a small wheel. But the Rennkompressor is the standard against which all other track pumps should be measured. It's potentially a bit tricky to read the gauge accurately as it does go up to ludicrously high pressure...

https://www.halfords.com/search?q=Rennkompressor
I have a Rennkompressor and a Joe Blow. The Rennkompressor is crap. The EVA head doesn't work AT ALL (read the reviews) and you have to buy a multivalve head, which sort of works. It falls over, it's heavy and it's expensive. It gets tubs over 200psi, which is the only reason I keep it.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Renkompressor is a bit like Gatorksin tyres. Some love 'em, others 'ate 'em.

The Joe Blow appears to have more consistent user feedback. That is, it's good enough and sometimes, that's all one needs.

I once borrowed one of Halfords premium pumps and my memory was it was on par, if not better, than my Joe Blow.

Last edited:

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
my Joe Blow was great but then the gauge stopped working, so I only use it for pumping up kids bikes/low pressure stuff.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Renkompressor is a bit like Gatorksin tyres. Some love 'em, others 'ate 'em.

The Joe Blow appears to have more consistent user feedback. That is, it's good enough and sometimes, that's all one needs.

I once borrowed one of Halfords premium pumps and my memory was it was on par, if not better, than my Joe Blow.
Rennkompressors are maybe a bit overkill but they're 100% serviceable so they should last forever.

OP, know the difference between HPLV and LPHV. An LPHV pump won't get road tyres up to pressure and an HPLV pump will take forever to inflate a large MTB tyre.

PapaZita

Guru
Trends seem to be towards lower tyre pressures. I have a Rennkompresor which has been faultless, but bought another pump, an SKS TwentyNiner, when I realised that I was rarely pumping tyres up much beyond its max pressure of 5 bar, and that often the needle was hardly moving on the Rennkompressor's gauge. The TwentyNiner's gauge is lovely and big, and makes small pressure changes on big volume tyres really easy and accurate. As it turns out, I struggle to get more than about 4 bar into a tyre with the TwentyNiner, so the Rennkompressor does still get some use.

Unlike @rogerzilla, I really like the EVA head, so replaced the original multivalve head on the TwentyNiner with another EVA. If I'd known, we could have arranged a swap! The multivalve head has the problem that it automatically selects the outlet that has some back pressure on it, which can make inflating a tyre from completely flat a bit awkward. The TwentyNiner with the EVA head does a good job of seating tubeless tyres, for example, which I never managed with the Rennkompressor or any pump with the multivalve head.

I did have some trouble with an EVA head once, where air was leaking out the back. It's true that there seems to be a lot of complexity and tiny parts inside. I traced the problem to a leaky internal o-ring, so deburred a few plastic parts, greased and re-seated the o-ring, and stopped the leak. SKS is supposed to be a quality brand, and that shouldn't have been necessary, but it has been fine ever since.

Sorry, none of this is likely to help the OP! I suggest choosing a pump with a big clear pressure gauge. For a first pump, I'd lean towards one with a higher maximum pressure, as it will at least be possible to inflate any style of tyre, even if it's not particularly fast on some of them.

OP
OP
N

Nemesis_252

Über Member
Thanks all. It'll not be my first track pump, I've been using a Clas Ohlson own branded one for probably around 10 years, but it's on its last legs.

My preference for the Joe Blow is based on having used them occasionally over the years, they seem very well made for the price, and it'll manage my current 120psi, with room for a more if needed in future.

However I'm not blinkered by it, I was just curious why everywhere appears to be out of stock. The main pump criteria is something that'll manage at least 120psi, that Halfords has in stock.

Plenty of food for thought though, thanks.

Top Bottom