Mission Industrial Tricycle Parts Availability.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Hi All,

Having decided that this tricycle https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/industrial-cargo-trike/ would be best to get me going with my large 27 stone frame the next thought crossing my mind is parts availability. Obviously, i understand that these are built to last but understanding also that all things mechanical break at some point, especially with the punishing weight of me hacking away at it. I haven't contacted Mission or any of their dealers just yet as to avoid sales pitches promising it will never break and not to worry, but i wondered if anybody on here have any idea or experience of parts availability on what is almost certainly a chinese product. My main concern is sprockets, in particular the 2nd shimano nexus sprocket that bolts on the nexus hub where the spokes would be on a tradition bicycle and the associated rear axle drive sprocket that the chain links it up to. I'd assume other than the chain these would likely be the biggest wear item in the drive train. For me, at its price it is not a throw away trike and i don't mind handling spanners and at the same time, i don't mind for jobs i cannot do, handing work to my local LBS to support them, but really as an investment i take this things into consideration when buying most things...

Thanks a lot.

classic33

Leg End Member
I ride a quad, at times with more than the weight of a full grown adult as a load. I've snapped one chain(10 years old), replaced the rear ring for a smaller one. And replaced the crankset.

The hub gear is under the seat, taking the drive from the right-hand side to the left-hand side. Bar the chain coming off, there's been no more trouble with the drivechain than on a bike.

@raleighnut is a tricyclist on here, si should be in a better posistion to answer than someone on four wheels.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
You need to contact the supplier. I have never come across a bike shop who has told me things on a bike dont break or wear out. Of course they do. Thats what the bike shop is in business for. To fix bikes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry, I'm sure it will be supported by Mission and the rest of the consumables will be regular cycle stuff.
I see the tyres are pneumatic. I wonder what they feel like to ride? Could they be worth changing to regular tyres in time.?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I ride a quad, at times with more than the weight of a full grown adult as a load. I've snapped one chain(10 years old), replaced the rear ring for a smaller one. And replaced the crankset.

The hub gear is under the seat, taking the drive from the right-hand side to the left-hand side. Bar the chain coming off, there's been no more trouble with the drivechain than on a bike.

@raleighnut is a tricyclist on here, si should be in a better posistion to answer than someone on four wheels.

I can't comment on Mission trikes, mine is a Kentex with 6 derailleur gears driving the rear axle through a dolly chain. I will say it has been very reliable in the 5or so years I've had it though and probably 95% of the components are standard bike bits.

Back axle set up on mine,

DSCN0050.JPG
DSCN0049.JPG

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Hi All,

Having decided that this tricycle https://missioncycles.co.uk/product/industrial-cargo-trike/ would be best to get me going with my large 27 stone frame the next thought crossing my mind is parts availability. Obviously, i understand that these are built to last but understanding also that all things mechanical break at some point, especially with the punishing weight of me hacking away at it. I haven't contacted Mission or any of their dealers just yet as to avoid sales pitches promising it will never break and not to worry, but i wondered if anybody on here have any idea or experience of parts availability on what is almost certainly a chinese product. My main concern is sprockets, in particular the 2nd shimano nexus sprocket that bolts on the nexus hub where the spokes would be on a tradition bicycle and the associated rear axle drive sprocket that the chain links it up to. I'd assume other than the chain these would likely be the biggest wear item in the drive train. For me, at its price it is not a throw away trike and i don't mind handling spanners and at the same time, i don't mind for jobs i cannot do, handing work to my local LBS to support them, but really as an investment i take this things into consideration when buying most things...

Thanks a lot.
I'd say the shop you buy it from would be the best place for spares.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I'd say the shop you buy it from would be the best place for spares.

I will definitely do that before parting with cash, I gather as much information as i can from as many different sources as i can, so i can make the best possible decision and im extremely grateful for everybody chiming in, its been so long since i've owned a bicycle and never owned a trike.

Thanks for the pictures as well raleighnut, quite insightful. I must say from what i can tell, the wear looks minimal on the freewheel in the 5 years you've had it. Are they the original components?

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have dealt with Mission and they are very helpful. It is best to give them a call to have a chat about your requirements

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I will definitely do that before parting with cash, I gather as much information as i can from as many different sources as i can, so i can make the best possible decision and im extremely grateful for everybody chiming in, its been so long since i've owned a bicycle and never owned a trike.

Thanks for the pictures as well raleighnut, quite insightful. I must say from what i can tell, the wear looks minimal on the freewheel in the 5 years you've had it. Are they the original components?
I keep the chains well oiled, possibly over oiled but it has got a chainguard to keep muck off my trousers. :angel: The other thing is I've fitted a 250W electric front wheel kit as I have a dodgy leg (the reason for buying the trike in the first place)

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I have dealt with Mission and they are very helpful. It is best to give them a call to have a chat about your requirements

Sounds quite promising. Ive sent them an email just now and i'll follow that up with a call.

I keep the chains well oiled, possibly over oiled but it has got a chainguard to keep muck off my trousers. :angel: The other thing is I've fitted a 250W electric front wheel kit as I have a dodgy leg (the reason for buying the trike in the first place)

When i was a kid my dad would slather my chain in oil, much to the dismay of my mother who would then have to wash my socks/trousers I don't recall ever having a chain replacement but then i was never a pro rider and used to just go to the park with my mates, travel to school etc. I love the idea of a motor to assist with hills. It would be something to consider if i really struggle. Would love to replace my car in as many instances as possible as i gain fitness and lose weight.

OP
OP
HMS_Dave

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
The Shimano Nexus/Alfine geared hubs need regular internal lubrication and I would not use a jet wash on the hub.

View attachment 480774

Thanks Guy, very helpful. It seems that parts for the hub and drive train are available through the dealers and distributors judging by that Shimano information you have. I have contacted Mission but the maintenance guy is on holiday this week and it doesn't appear that anybody else is available to help with my enquiry which is fair enough given what i am asking. But im more at ease in regards to parts and im only really hearing good things about the company.

Top Bottom