mixing 11 speed with 10 speed?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
ever since my bike fell over on a windy day (mech side down) my rear shifting has been off, i replaced mech hanger but it must be the mech.

so ive decided to replace it, is there any reason a 11 speed 105 5800 mech wont work on a 10 speed 5700 set up? ive mixed 5600/5700 before but both 10 speed.

i've also used a 10 speed tiagra mech on an 8 speed 2300 set up with no issues. so know different size chains work on the same mechs...

help

There's info HERE that may answer this for you, in particular the bit I've chopped out and attached, but surely a 5700 mech would be cheaper anyway?

11 speed.png

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
If is any help I take with a pinch of salt what manufacturers recommend. I run a 105 5700 rear derailleur, 8 speed Sram cassette, 9 speed KMC chain, Dura Ace 7900 brake calipers, 10 speed Campagnolo record shifters with Dura Ace front derailleur and crankset waiting to be fitted. Everything I read said the DA 7900 brakes would only work well with DA 7900 brake levers but they work great with my campy levers, best ever rim brakes I ever had.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If is any help I take with a pinch of salt what manufacturers recommend. I run a 105 5700 rear derailleur, 8 speed Sram cassette, 9 speed KMC chain, Dura Ace 7900 brake calipers, 10 speed Campagnolo record shifters with Dura Ace front derailleur and crankset waiting to be fitted. Everything I read said the DA 7900 brakes would only work well with DA 7900 brake levers but they work great with my campy levers, best ever rim brakes I ever had.
Jeez, I thought I mixed'n'matched stuff but that beats anything I've tried. I always match the shift lever to the cassette/freehub at least, but if it works. :becool:

OP
OP
jifdave

jifdave

rubbish uphill, downhill 'balast' make me fast
just for the record it works perfectly, spoke with a mechanic in evans and he said they havent changed the springs at all and like i thought the pull ratio is in the shifter.

the rear mech performance is not hugely different, it does feel slightly shaper. it does look nicer and the top jockey wheel is maybe 3mm deep grooves which im assuming must give a more positive grab on the chain.

the front mech on the other hand seems a massive jump in performance, even using a 10 speed chain its still ultra precise and moves to the top cog so much smoother.

Top Bottom