Mmmmm Not impressed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arch

Married to Night Train
piedwagtail91 said:
depending on my mood i'd have either completely ignored her or replied "at least i'm not breaking the law" .

"Doesn't your mummy let you ride on the road?" is a good one too..

She sounds bonkers. What did she think you were 'pretending' to be? Faster then her? You were. Law abiding? You were...

You should have challenged her to a race.:wacko:

Rebel Ian

Paul_L said:
as others have said don't let it bother you.

It's one of those moments you wish you could come up with an instant witty put down, but you only tend to think of what you wish you'd said after the event.

"At least I'm not pretending to be something I'm not"..........

"Attractive?!" :wacko:

Willo

Philk said:
ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :wacko:

Annoying to get needless comments, but the achievement above is all you need to think about, a great achievement.

I went out for a spin this morning and passed several cyclists, one wearing the full team Columbia get up and others just a t-shirt and shorts on an old MTB. Each to their own but all just out enjoying the countryside on a fine sunny day and getting fit. Sounds like you just got unlucky, and fortunately she's the exception, so don't let it bother you too much.

al78

Guru
Philk said:
So im riding along having nearly completed my weekend ride of 16 miles, but still moving along at about 18-20 mph.
Im dressed in lycra padded shorts and base layer top , no logos.and as ive said before in pretty heavy at 17 stone.
So i pass this woman who is riding on the pavement doing far less than i am, at which point she says loudly, " at least im not pretending to be something im not".
This pisses me off a little , so at the junction she finally catches me up and i say " excuse me but was that comment aimed at me?" she not saying a word just sits there scowling.
What is it with people these days?

Im at a loss :laugh:

ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :wacko:

Did you say anything to her preceeding the "at least I ..." remark? Normally, when people come out the "at least I..." line, it is a response to an insult aimed at them.

Benthedoon

I read your first post and the thing that struck me, it's a continued issue I have, adults riding on the pavement.
Has the law changed in the last few years? I remember getting a stern talking to from members of my local constabulary when I was a boy but now I see adults, teenagers in fact every age riding on the pavement and then they expect me to stop so they can ride across a zebra crossing!!!!
Rant over, but in does wind me up and for that woman to have the nerve to make comment, I too would have given her a piece of my mind.

Good work on the weight loss, mine has stopped over the last few weeks time to up the training maybe.

OP
OP
P

Philk

al78 said:
Did you say anything to her preceeding the "at least I ..." remark? Normally, when people come out the "at least I..." line, it is a response to an insult aimed at them.

Nope not a word, i was to busy keeping up with the traffic and keeping my heart rate at the 170 bpm mark lol, perhaps she thought i was pretending to be a train.

battered said:
Bloody good thing hse didn't speak to me like that. By the time I'd finished she'd need counselling.

Why?

Would you have thought the opinion of an insignificant other person THAT important?

abbie

Why does being a on bike make people so forthcoming with commentary on your clothing?

I've been getting 'feedback' almost daily from strangers, (all complimentary so far but when cold weather hits that will change I'm sure) I don't understand why riding a bike makes people want to give opinions on your outfit.

Even a lollipop lady said something to me about my cropped joggers the other day and she was wearing a hi-vis coat in searing heat!!!!!!

navrat_biker

OMG thats shocking, i think we live in a world of ignorance and who will never grasp the concept of manners.

Keep going phil and well done on the weight loss.

hotmetal

Staggering. Especially cos she was a 'fellow cyclist'. Maybe that's it – despite being allegedly a woman she was literally a 'fellow' cyclist. It'd certainly explain the unladylike behaviour. She's probably just jealous because she probably got a vision of what her saddle-swallowing derriere would look like in cycling shorts! Best to ignore muppets like that and carry on enjoying your cycling in appropriate clothing.

I have noticed that people seem to treat cyclists like some sort of circus freaks though. Me and my mate were out for a ride the other day and the sight of our belycra'd butts inspired some silly girl (bravely, from a moving car) to start screeching like a banshee as she went past. TBH we just laughed, I mean, how bizarre is that? If ignorance is bliss, some people must feel like they're in heaven.

jimboalee

Philk said:
So im riding along having nearly completed my weekend ride of 16 miles, but still moving along at about 18-20 mph.
Im dressed in lycra padded shorts and base layer top , no logos.and as ive said before in pretty heavy at 17 stone.
So i pass this woman who is riding on the pavement doing far less than i am, at which point she says loudly, " at least im not pretending to be something im not".
This pisses me off a little , so at the junction she finally catches me up and i say " excuse me but was that comment aimed at me?" she not saying a word just sits there scowling.
What is it with people these days?

Im at a loss :sad:

ps ive lost 2 stone since feb :biggrin:

When peds or other cyclists shout something at me, all I hear is:-

" at least I'm........." then I'm out of range.

I glance over my shoulder at the rapidly receding person and give an expression similar to

:biggrin:

thinking the remainder of the sentance was

"able to see you in that brightly coloured jersey".

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
You'll have lots of things shouted at you during your cycling career, at least you will if you continue it in Britain.

don't worry too much about it.

Top Bottom