Moan about football ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
While in principle I would really like to share the view that modern football is complete rubbish played by pansies, I recently watched a Champions League game featuring one of the top English clubs against Barcelona or similar.

Now, on the one hand, 20 mins of two teams passing a ball around the middle 30 meters of the pitch sounds tedious, but in truth, the sheer technical skill and the suspense of two teams playing near perfect football with almost no mistakes made, was actually very exciting and even tiring to watch.

I was a fair player in my time (although never got paid, so not that good), but the sheer skill on show was unbelievable. I would have hated to play in that game because of the sheer pressure of not making a mistake.

yello

I could tolerate Mark Lawrenson because, well, he's a bit dim (to be blunt). It was Alan Hansen that used to wind me up. He seems to think he's an intellectual and 'understands' football. (Deliberate use of air quotes)

Ajay

Veteran
This is where you are at a serious disadvantage. To the knuckle dragging football supporter this is actually quite profound.:biggrin:
Yeah, those stupid football fans, throwing their money away on Sky Sports subscriptions, just so that Sky can throw it away again subsidising minority sports like, errrr, cycling.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
There are 2 that I remember hearing, the first was during the 6 Nations (Rugby, I know) one year when Dan Parks (or was it Lawson?) had to kick a conversion for Scotland. The commentator said

'He lines up the ball, and he'll have a few questions to ask of his right foot'

Sorry, but, what? how do you ask your foot a question?

The other was just the other week there during the Scottish news when they were talking of some game/player, and the reporter said

'....and he used his best left foot to score the goal'

Does the player have more than one left foot or something? Is medical science aware of this fact? I feel we must be told!

Chilternrides

There is only so many words so many people can use when faced with the very same questions again and again. No wonder the replies are what they are.

What's with the modern football hatred. I've been going to games since the 1970's and think it is infinitely superior today.

Very fair comment (the first part) - for the second part, I know that I for one find that excitement and anticipation has gone because of over exposure (again, my opinion only!).

I am first & foremost a rugby leage fan, but until about 15 years ago, I loved football; as the number of european contests increased, and the games went from Saturday to any day, the excitement drained away for me - no weekend peak to look forward to anymore. It's a great game to play, and was (still can be) a good game to watch. Sadly it's ruined by many, not all, of the people that play, manage and administrate within it. With the exception of Chris Kamara, who may not be the next Prof. Hawking but does have great enthusiasm for the game, not to mention a cracking personality for T.V. the other telly drivellers may as well be planning funerals.

Good game ruined by the people involved.

Chris Kamara. Legend

With you on the game scheduling. Premier league games all over the place, what happened to 3:00 pm on Saturday, as the footballing gods decreed and as it should be.

I actually think the Championship is better league (not just because thats were my team plays) as the change of 6 teams every season change the dynamic a lot. PL with only 3 teams coming in at the bottom end will leave the same suspects at the top every season.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
The thing spoils my enjoyment of watching England, apart from the perpetual disappointment, is that damn brass band. They've been driving me mad with their rendition of the The Great Escape for ten bl**dy years now.

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
Could be that most of you are not bright enough to understand the maths and physics involved in the game. My adopted team of Fort William FC won their first game of the season last weekend. For boring sports just watch any bike race. I would rather read War and Peace

Top Bottom