Mobile networks, South lakeland / South Cumbria / North Lancashire area

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I moved to a small village in South Cumbria last year and I've been able to use my mobile on three in the house in certain rooms. Lately connection has become really poor such that when on the train into Lancaster I often can't get any Internet connection where q month ago I got a good 4g signal. At work top connection can't be made.

My historical rolling monthly contract was such a good deal that I've been advised to keep it at long as possible. However a text from three said they're cancelling it and offering two options however if I don't reply I'll be put on the 12 month contract option. I don't think they're throttling back my connection to force me to change contracts because i think they can cancel it as I am long time out of anything but a rolling monthly contract.

So why the sudden reduction in quality of the signal?

As a side issue, anyone know which network is best in South Cumbria / North Lancashire area? Offcom and other signal checkers show they're all about the same but those checkers always show an over optimistic indoors connection. My three has full very good signal indoors but that's never been the case, only one or two rooms get a signal for calls. Offcom maps show EE for connection boundary other side of the road to us but three covers our house with another network. However most ppl say EE is the best network. 10 plus years ago o2 was the best locally and into the lakes but now i don't think so.

Any locals got a recommendation for best network? Would I change or stick network?

Chris S

Legendary Member
Have you had a software update recently? I've got 3 Mobile as well. My old laptop running Lubuntu 18 runs really fast on it but my new one running Lubuntu 22 struggles to connect to the web. I think it has various packages (Snap, etc) using up bandwidth in the background.

midlife

Guru
I live in North Cumbria and my GiffGaff (02) is a bit hit and miss. I'd ask around others that live locally and ask their experience.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I live in one of those places. Not saying which online. Nice area and it's why we moved north from just north of Lancaster to be in the midst of such a beautiful place.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
There are maps but tbh they're not very good. They often follow each other in boundaries but then you get one that's nowhere near us but gets a reception whereas the others don't

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I moved to a small village in South Cumbria last year and I've been able to use my mobile on three in the house in certain rooms. Lately connection has become really poor such that when on the train into Lancaster I often can't get any Internet connection where q month ago I got a good 4g signal. At work top connection can't be made.

My historical rolling monthly contract was such a good deal that I've been advised to keep it at long as possible. However a text from three said they're cancelling it and offering two options however if I don't reply I'll be put on the 12 month contract option. I don't think they're throttling back my connection to force me to change contracts because i think they can cancel it as I am long time out of anything but a rolling monthly contract.

So why the sudden reduction in quality of the signal?

As a side issue, anyone know which network is best in South Cumbria / North Lancashire area? Offcom and other signal checkers show they're all about the same but those checkers always show an over optimistic indoors connection. My three has full very good signal indoors but that's never been the case, only one or two rooms get a signal for calls. Offcom maps show EE for connection boundary other side of the road to us but three covers our house with another network. However most ppl say EE is the best network. 10 plus years ago o2 was the best locally and into the lakes but now i don't think so.

Any locals got a recommendation for best network? Would I change or stick network?

A bit North of Kendal - Vodaphone works very well here.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
I've heard Vodafone, ee and o2 are all good and all bad depending on who you ask I think, even neighbours differ.

Could choice of phone affect connection?

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
My company shifted to O2 recently and anywhere near the M6 is a bit iffy. Lose signal passing Warrington every time.

geocycle

Legendary Member
I’m close to you and on EE, generally ok but some blank spots including my house. You might be able to get gigabyte broadband as you probably are in the B4RN region so Wi-Fi calling can help.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
B4RN is across the road from us but misses our village out. There's limited BT broadband equivalent at 950 I think but that's limited and I've only heard of one household getting it but he had a bit problem getting passed around between companies dealing with the contract, infrastructure and installation. It ended up with his old bt broadband being canceled bbefore the new suoer fast broadband was even put in. A bit of a mess.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'm originally from Crag Bank, Carnforth and would visit family there until a couple of years ago. I'm on 3 and the reception was good and I don't recall any problems on days out to Grange over Sands etc

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
For some reason three struggles now. It's a cliff edge of performance like they changed equipment and it doesn't work as well as the old in this area.

OP
OP
T

Time Waster

Veteran
Perhaps get a cheap tesco sim and try it for data to test out o2 in b this area. I have a payg from tesco that apparently never had a credit time limit. If that works I'll try it for data.

Top Bottom