Mobile Phone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glasgow44

Veteran
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can help with me a non cycling issue. My mobile phone with EE is now out of contract. I'm not looking to upgrade or downgrade as such, although the camera on my current phone doesn't work properly, so maybe I should go for a new handset (I'm not into phones in a big way like most people are!).

The problem is I find this kind of thing a minefield (been looking online but there is so much to choose from) and also its a pain in the a** when you phone a mobile phone company going through the whole bartering carry on!

Does anyone know of any good deals out there or can anyone advise about what best to do now that I'm out of contract?

Thanks J

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Try going into a store like Carphone Warehouse. They will be best suited to your needs.

They will also have better deals than the companies themselves and even cashback

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I would say don't go into a retailer like Carphone Warehouse. They have their own agenda and will push you into a deal that's makes them money and to hell with your needs.
You need to look at your own requirements and phone use and find some deal that suits you. If you don't use it much buying a phone or using your out of contract one on a pay as you go or low use tariff could well suit you.
Motorola have some excellent budget phones and are much recommended on here so worth a look. Honour the budget arm of Huawei also have some good models.

Last edited:
I use phonebillmonitor to work out what i need in contract - and I think they can also help guide you with what you want from a phone.

si_c

Guru
If you are happy with your current handset (camera issues aside) then you could just move to a SIM only contract and keep the same number with a similar usage package just for less.

In terms of handsets, I picked up brand new unlocked Motorola E something from Carphone Whorehouse for £100 (for use as a spare phone as my main phone is being repaired) and it is as far as I can tell a great unit, latest version of android and the battery lasts just shy of two days.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 5334766, member: 259"]You might be better off asking for this to be moved to the Cafe section.[/QUOTE]
On it ^_^

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends what you want and how much you want to spend. But once you know what you want check on here for the best prices

https://www.uswitch.com/mobiles/

They helped me find a contract that blew the abosolute nuts off anything I could find anywhere else. To the point where my network even advised to take the deal because no one was going to beat it.

midlife

Guru
My Family use Giff Gaff sims, not on a contract or PAYG but pay monthly for given amount of data / texts / calls. I then buy a phone to stick the sim in.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hi there

I'm wondering if anyone can help with me a non cycling issue. My mobile phone with EE is now out of contract. I'm not looking to upgrade or downgrade as such, although the camera on my current phone doesn't work properly, so maybe I should go for a new handset (I'm not into phones in a big way like most people are!).

The problem is I find this kind of thing a minefield (been looking online but there is so much to choose from) and also its a pain in the a** when you phone a mobile phone company going through the whole bartering carry on!

Does anyone know of any good deals out there or can anyone advise about what best to do now that I'm out of contract?

Thanks J

One of our kids (also not much into phones) just got an iPhone SE from Carphone Warehouse on a 2 year deal with 250mins and unlimited text (can't remember what the data is) for £13.99 pm.

Decent phone and dirt cheap.

vickster

Legendary Member
I buy my handsets outright (often in perfect nick from an upgrade fanatic on AV Forums in the case of prior iPhones) and then have a SIM only deal. I’ve not committed to a contract for years. Saves hundreds over contract, but you do need to have the cash up front obviously for the phone (or an interest free credit card)

Chris S

Legendary Member
I'd say get a basic phone thats unlocked and go with an Asda sim. Its a really cheap network and you can PAYGO. No minimum amount.
That's what I've got. The phone was £13 and has got just about everything on it. I'll only ever use the basic stuff but a basic phone was a lot more expensive :smile:

Salar

A fish out of water
I just buy cheap phones off fleabay and stick my sim card into it.
I don't bother with smartphones just a basic phone ,usually retro style flip phone, calls and texts and that's it.
Battery life is great and it's good enough for me and my business.

crazyjoe101

Whatever you do, consider the benefits of buying online as you will have additional protection as a consumer and be able to return/cancel without issue within 30 days IIRC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lullabelle

Banana
We looked on the Carphone Warehouse website, found the perfect phone and deal for me so set everything up online, took a bit of time as I am new to them so had to fill in the relevant bits but other than that it was easy, no pushy sales person trying to sell me something I don't want.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Refurbished unlocked phone and guff gaff is way to go. Avoid iPhone and Samsung as they slow down old phones with software upgrades to make you switch to newer model.

Top Bottom