Mobile phones!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Old thread revival, as i don't think my query warrants another phone question, comment, opinion etc thread. My question is can someone who phones or texts me, or me phoning or texting them find out my exact location during or after communicating? šŸ¤”
Do you want them to ? If not then no a normal person won't know your location.

You'd have to use an app like life 360 that you can use to share your location with someone, or you could use whatsapp and theres an option to share your location for a set amount of time.

My wife has Life 360 on her phone as part of her job is visiting people in their homes so it's good that her location can be tracked.

Drago

Legendary Member
No, they do not need a warrant.

For live time urgent urgent enquiries, where life or limb may be at risk, it need only be authorised by a supernintendo.

For slow time crime enquiries there is an exemption in DPA which allows the data to be gathered for the purposes of "the prevention or detection of crime". However, as an arriss covering exercise the unofficial convention is that an officer of the next rank up will give their approval and that will be recorded before the application for the location data is submitted. If the company refuse, and assuming the enquiry justifies such drastic action, the dibble can just pitch up and seize the equipment wholesale under S19 of PACE, so they almost always cooperate in full once the boxes have been ticked.

In my case i only have a dumb phone, and almost never carry it anyway as my car has a built in phone that I can switch on and use in an emergency. It'll be eyes-on the hard way if anyone tracks me, and that takes 4 people minimum to do effectively, so that dog's not ever going to bark.

AndyRM

XOXO
No, i definitely don't! I just get the thought sometimes when i tell a white lie about where i am that the one i'm telling it to knows i'n not where i say i am.

Where are you going? North Korea? Stealing nuclear launch codes? Hunting foxes? Selling drugs to children?

If you're that worried, get a burner, make sure you have whoever its' number you need, and say you'll be in touch if you need to be.

Take it with you on your nefarious travels leaving your 'main' phone at home.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Nowt to do with phones, but I was talking to a postie about being tracked the other day.

He was waiting outside a post box with his sack.

Apparently, he had arrived a few minutes early and his hand held gadget wouldn't allow him to empty the box until the stated collection time.

I wouldn't put up with being tracked by my employer in that way, but I know lots of delivery-type workers are.

Nowt to do with phones, but I was talking to a postie about being tracked the other day.

Apparently, he had arrived a few minutes early and his hand held gadget wouldn't allow him to empty the box until the stated collection time.

I wouldn't put up with being tracked by my employer in that way, but I know lots of delivery-type workers are.
Them's the rules though. Lump it or leave it.

I don't want the postie to empty the postbox early either !

Alex321

Veteran

You don't actually need to be tracked by your employer for that one though. You just need software on your device that holds collection times and GPS coordinates.

Though they may well be tracked - as you say, many delivery drivers are - that is how they can tell you that your parcel will be delivered in the next hour.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Where are you going? North Korea? Stealing nuclear launch codes? Hunting foxes? Selling drugs to children?

If you're that worried, get a burner, make sure you have whoever its' number you need, and say you'll be in touch if you need to be.

Take it with you on your nefarious travels leaving your 'main' phone at home.
It gets worse! There i was looking slightly scruffy while in my flat the other day, when a friend phoned. I don't know what the feck she had, but i could see her and she could see me!! :ohmy: She phoned me on Tuesday, but again i wasn't dressed incorrectly, so i didn't answer it.šŸ§

AndyRM

XOXO
It gets worse! There i was looking slightly scruffy while in my flat the other day, when a friend phoned. I don't know what the feck she had, but i could see her and she could see me!! :ohmy: She phoned me on Tuesday, but again i wasn't dressed incorrectly, so i didn't answer it.šŸ§

So... your friend phones, can see you, yet you don't answer because you're not in dandy mode?

Wow.

That doesn't mean she's tracking you, she probably just fancied coming in for a chat.

AndyRM

XOXO
Itā€™s called video calling. Welcome to your smart phone

That hadn't occurred to me as I do it so rarely.

But either way, even if it's noticing a pal through a window and calling or doing a video call (which isn't spying), does your friend actually care?

It's clear that you do, but does she dress up to the nines? Because if not, I doubt she'd be bothered.

oldwheels

Legendary Member

I used to empty some mail boxes when I worked as a postman.
No timing devices.
I often arrived early and emptied the box but waited until the appointed time before leaving the box. I was twice reported to the Head Postmaster by a busybody who failed to observe that I waited.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom