Mobile phones

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As you all know, I don't do smart phones. I think they're horrible things, as addictive as crack cocaine and almost as expensive. I hate the fact that walk outside on any given day and 1/3 to 1/4 of people will be walking around staring at a smart phone (and in London then complaining when it gets nicked out of their hand).

So I don't have one, and I'm quite happy thank you very much..

But a thought occurs.

Mobile phones are now music players, sat navs, GPS devices (although not terribly good yet), as well as phones. As a consequence sales of dedicated MP3 playrs, sat navs, etc, are plummeting.

So my questions are thus - will there come a day when these things will become impossible to buy as stand alone items, or else so hideously expensive that only the dedicated hobbyist or someone needing it for work would buy one? At that point I guess I would have to give in and buy one if I wanted those things - how far in the future do you think that would be?
My 'phone' rarely gets used as a phone. It's pretty much my computer, sat nav, and camera / all sorts of other digital stuff.
I could live without it, but so much of my job(s) require me to have some sort of access to digital worldy rubbish, that it is tricky to function properly without it. I'm going to kick the majority of what I 'need' it for into touch next year, as long as I don't tackle above the neck, or bash it in the scrum, I should be okay.

classic33

Leg End Member
I hope not, I need a combined hairdryer and electric drill like I need a hole in the head.
You've one or two already!

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Is that an S7?

Seriously I told a workmate today I had an S3 and the shock all round was astounding...while another told me how wonderful Iphones were and that I should get one.
A5.
The missus and I looked at the S7 in store as both phones were going for the same price. We decided there that the A5 would be better because it was newer. We shoulda gone home an compared online. The S7 has a better camera. Oh well.
I had an iPhone 4S once. My dad passed it onto me. I hated it. An android phone connects to my bog standard PC without issue and files can be copied or transferred easily. Not with a forkin iPhone. Noooooooooo. You have to use apples stupid friggin iTunes and other crap to get it to work and there's (was at least) the issue of iPhones being registered to their original owners. Gah!
Horrible vile wretched things.

classic33

Leg End Member
A5.
The missus and I looked at the S7 in store as both phones were going for the same price. We decided there that the A5 would be better because it was newer. We shoulda gone home an compared online. The S7 has a better camera. Oh well.
I had an iPhone 4S once. My dad passed it onto me. I hated it. An android phone connects to my bog standard PC without issue and files can be copied or transferred easily. Not with a forkin iPhone. Noooooooooo. You have to use apples stupid friggin iTunes and other crap to get it to work and there's (was at least) the issue of iPhones being registered to their original owners. Gah!
Horrible vile wretched things.
Not a fan of iPhones then?

Lonestar

Veteran
Is that an S7?

Seriously I told a workmate today I had an S3 and the shock all round was astounding...while another told me how wonderful Iphones were and that I should get one.

Twas a joke for the times the S7 caught fire.I will go and get me coat.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
As you all know, I don't do smart phones. I think they're horrible things, as addictive as crack cocaine and almost as expensive. I hate the fact that walk outside on any given day and 1/3 to 1/4 of people will be walking around staring at a smart phone ...

I don't do smart phones either, but i do have one. It seldom leaves the house, never gets used for internet browsing, social media, navigation or taking photographs, but it does make a handy remote control for various media players on my desktop PC. Occasionally I'll even use it as a phone.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Twas a joke for the times the S7 caught fire.I will go and get me coat.
Note 7, i think.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
IPhone 7 too.
iphonedent.jpg

So they cost a bomb, are psychologically addictive, and they burst into flame the moment you turn your back. They're not really selling themselves to me.

Top Bottom