Mobile Warning Sign that illuminates if a phone is in use

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Love this...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-44771962

_102457562_mobilephonedetectionsign1.jpg

Just passed a lady in a convertible who just could not resist checking her phone in traffic, made me rather annoyed as she was oblivious to everything going on around her. I must check my phone, its more important than the cyclist or the old folk crossing.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
If somone is checking their phone are they likely to see a sign on a lamp-post?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 5308297, member: 9609"]how does it distinguish between passenger and driver ?[/QUOTE]
It can't, AFAIK, which I think is part of the reason they're not recording footage yet because it'd take lots of staff time to review it and play "spot the phone" before sending out tickets.

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
[QUOTE 5308297, member: 9609"]how does it distinguish between passenger and driver ?[/QUOTE]

It can't, but if there's only one person in the car...

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They would also have a problem working out that the bluetooth signal they are detecting is tied to the phone in use. It seems like this could be blocked just by having an active bluetooth connection nearby.

mjr

They would also have a problem working out that the bluetooth signal they are detecting is tied to the phone in use. It seems like this could be blocked just by having an active bluetooth connection nearby.
Are the Bluetooth ID and whatever they can see through GSM/CDMA/UMTS/whatever connected? I don't know. In any case, it seems better than the current nothing.

Drago

Legendary Member
Perhaps phones that wont work if they sense they're in a car, except for 999 calls etc?

Technically there's no great challenge. Unfortunately, it's an offence to willfully cause interference to an authorised user of the radio spectrum, so it would be an offence that traditionally earns a nice fine. Even mobile phone blockers in prisons require a special licence from OFCOM, or OFCUM as it's known to radio hams.

mjr

Perhaps phones that wont work if they sense they're in a car, except for 999 calls etc?
There are at least two major problems with that: firstly, we'd need wifi in all trains and long-distance coaches/buses, else that's a lot of people completely unable to work while travelling more sensibly; and secondly, some of the nobbers will reflash their phones with operating systems with the restriction disabled or its speed limit lifted and there's effectively no way to stop that.

Also, some nobbers would just play games like candy car crush on tablet devices with no phone capability which is probably as dangerous and wouldn't be covered by such laws. I know you'll hate this, but I think we need more traffic police... gotta catch 'em all! No, wait...

pokemon_logo_PNG6.png

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Technically there's no great challenge. Unfortunately, it's an offence to willfully cause interference to an authorised user of the radio spectrum, so it would be an offence that traditionally earns a nice fine. Even mobile phone blockers in prisons require a special licence from OFCOM, or OFCUM as it's known to radio hams.

Would you count someone using a bluetooth speaker in a nearby house as blocking - I would not. It seems like the system just checks for a signal and overrides the sign. The smart thing would be to look for a moving signal. But as mentioned before, having a flashing sign is fairly pointless as the driver on the phone will be too busy trying to crash into a vulnerable road user to bother looking and registering a sign.

Top Bottom