Modern compact 50/34 chainset on 90's braze-on frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MyNameIsEarl

Hi, could you please let me know if they'll be any problems with my upgrade to a modern compact chainset on a 90's braze-on frame?

There's about a 7mm gap at the moment (should be 2-3mm!). The FD is at the bottom of the frame's braze-on, so there's no more adjustment available.

It shifts fine on the workstand, but will there be any issues if I run it like it's currently set up?

si_c

Guru
If it shifts fine then I'd run with it, your biggest problem is likely to be overshifting and dropping the chain off the big ring. Careful setting of the limit screw should mitigate this but it's still a reasonable risk.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think I've got one of those in the Crypt Of Cr*p. Came with my Moulton TSR but I didn't need it as I was running 1 x 9.

OP
OP
M

MyNameIsEarl

Great suggestions, thanks very much!

It seems to shift fine at the moment on a test ride, so will keep an eye on it and get an extender/adaptor if needed.

Ajax Bay

Guru
The hazard of dropping the front chain off is a risk that I would seek to avoid. In addition you'll find that the changing down is adversely affected as the outer cage plate will pull the chain from an inch further back on downshift (to the inner) - look at the cage plate's design: you see that bulge, specifically designed to nudge the chain off the large ring.
An alternative to the braze-on drop item is to neatly saw off the braze-on (and seal) and use a band-on>braze-on adapter
I can see you have a 'silver' one on the white bike in your photo.

Top Bottom