Modern forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi
I have moved into the 21st century, newish bike 20015 specialized.
Now with the old Raleighs, Dawes etc loosen the skewer on the front wheel lift up, the wheel drops out.
Undo the skewer on the new bike it stays where it is,I had turn it upside down and struggle to get it out :sad:

AndyRM

XOXO
May be a daft question, but have you undone it enough? Or does the fork have tabs to hold the skewer in place?

Reactions: C R

Milkfloat

An Peanut
From Sheldon

"
Lawyer Lips, Lawyer Tabs - Because some bicycle users are competent enough to remove their front wheels but not competent enough to secure them properly when they reinstall them, virtually all new bike purchasers have been deprived of the handy function of quick-release front wheels.
This has been done by encumbering fork ends with extra hardware, ridges or lumps that keep the wheel sort-of attached even if it has been installed by someone who doesn't know what he or she is doing. Unfortunately, this means that the quick-release mechanism must be re-adjusted each time it is used, seriously slowing down the operation.

Since this extra stuff was installed as a defense against frivolous lawsuits by ambulance-chasing shysters, the extra bumps are sometimes known as "lawyer lips" or "lawyer tabs."

As "lawyer lips" have become the norm, they have gradually become more important than they originally were, for two reasons:

• The prevalence of these secondary retention systems in front, and vertical dropouts in the rear has caused the proliferation of inferior skewer designs that are cheaper to manufacture, but much less secure than traditional skewers.
    See my Article on Quick Release Skewers.
  • The introduction of disc brakes has caused increased vulnerability of the front axle and skewer, due to the disc brake applying an ejection force that tends to pull the axle out of the fork.
"

AndyRM

XOXO
I even took it right out. what tabs ?

tyred

Legendary Member
There is a point to those wheel retention features (also found on my 1958 Raleigh Trent so it's nothing new).

I seen a bike sitting outside the supermarket recently and I couldn't help noticing that one of the front wheel nuts was missing:surrender:

I hope the rider wears a helmet!

Sometimes the terminally stupid need to be protected from injury.

Tabs also protect the unwary from a supposed flaw with disc brakes where braking force acts to remove axle from dropout.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
They can usually be filed off quickly, although a pot of touch-up paint may be required if the tabs aren't on a part of the dropout that is scraped bare anyway.

Gunk

Guru
I'm constantly popping front wheels out, as my Thule ThruRide 565 bike carriers secure the bikes using a skewer through the the fork dropouts. Those little lips which stop the wheel dropping out are a pain in the backside, you have to almost completely undo the skewer for the wheel to drop out.

Top Bottom