Modifying and putting to work Liberal Democrat Cycling Policy

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chap

Veteran
buggi said:
haven't got time to read it, will do later, but my first thoughts:

1. get rid of cycle lanes as they are just a nuisance for cyclists and make cycling more dangerous.
2. spend the money you would have spent on cycle lanes on fixing potholes.
3. spend the money on smooth tarmac and get rid of that gravel shite.

Hmm, I agree in part, my thoughts instead are:

1. Get rid of poorly designed cycle lanes, and where necessary implement considered paths.
  2. Spend that elusive 'road tax' on fixing potholes.
  3. Ensure that the cycle paths use smoother tarmac, and are gritted in winter.

snorri

Legendary Member
StuartG said:
The duty reduction was being pushed as the major issue in Wales and in the particular constituency the letter was sent - the price at Tescos or Morrisons is normally within a penny or two of Sainsburys here in London.
I am shocked at that, I imagined they were considering concessions for people living far from the supermarket chains.:biggrin::sad:
Oddly the issue was barely mentioned in the north of Scotland.:rofl:

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
chap said:
Living the Daily Mail dream? What, bringing about American style lynchings on dark-skinned (suspected) immigrants, keeping the Slavs on a leash, and running over cyclists?

We all crave a little drama, and dystopian threats, that's why Nostradamus is still going strong, conspiracy theories survive (well that and our need for certainty), and why the DaVinci code was a best-seller. Calm down, they are just another party, we are a developed nation and you can see that from how the coalition members are treating matters. Were this some backwards country then you'd have George Galloway style fist pumping, banal rhetoric, and basically the politics from our East-European and Mediterranean (esp. Italian) 'cousins.'

I think the OP has a great idea, and will like to get involved. Optimism is not particularly 'cool', but little has been done under dread and chic cynicism*.

*A tad spurious as the same applies to Optimism, since intelligent action brings results.

Cycling is a political irrelevance in the UK. At best, a transport minister will use cycling as a nice gentle bit of aspirational fluff before talking to the grown-ups about petrol duty or cheap flights.

The UK has a car culture. The ability of governments of any hue to change cultural attitudes is limited and the timescales for change are often too long to risk the political gamble. Cycling in the UK happens despite, not because of government policies.

The key difference between the new and the previous administrations is that, while Labour might shuffle their feet guiltily and mutter something about sustainable transport, the Tories understand their current position and recognise their audience. They're definitely not in a position to gamble with people's votes. And what better way to soften the pain of the coming austerity measures than by offering up the panem et circenses of cheap fuel and no speed cameras. What better way to lose votes than to 'waste taxpayer's money on PC cycling schemes (they don't even pay road tax!)'.

This government has neither the power nor the desire to encourage cycling. It doesn't need to encourage driving but acquires net political gain by doing so.

The Lib Dem party may be deeply democratic, but we're talking here about a minor partner in a shaky political alliance pitching an issue with little political traction. Despite this, I wish the Lib Dems well. For tactical reasons I've voted Lib Dem for most of my life. I also feel sorry them. They've been forced to drink from a big blue chalice with a very funny taste, and I suspect they'll be spewing their ideological guts out for years because of it.

OP
OP
Riverman

Riverman

Guru
I believe the deadline for motions is the end of June. Do any Liberal Democrat members here what to have a go at putting together a motion for conference? We'll need the support of voting delegates, so co-ordinating this online is the best way of getting that as delegates are located throughout the country.

http://www.libdems.org.uk/siteFiles/resources/PDF/conference/3_Guide_-_write_a_motion.pdf

5. Sample motion
The following is an example of a relatively well-drafted
motion (from the March 2006 conference):

Conference notes the UN report on Guantanamo Bay
published on 15th February 2006, and in particular its
call for the US Government to ‘close the Guantanamo
Bay detention centre facilities without further delay’
and to ‘refrain from any practice amounting to torture
or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment’.
Conference further notes that the UN commission
said that:

a) Photo evidence alone – corroborated by testimony
of former prisoners – had shown detainees were
shackled, chained, hooded and forced to wear
headphones and goggles. This treatment is
supposed to disorient individuals so that they are
susceptible to interrogation and reliant on guards.

:sad: Some of the interrogation techniques used at the
detention facility itself, particularly the use of dogs,
exposure to extreme temperatures, sleep
deprivation for several consecutive days and
prolonged isolation, caused extreme suffering.

c) Such treatment amounts to torture, as it inflicts
severe pain or mental suffering on the victims for
the purpose of intimidation and/or punishment.
Conference condemns Tony Blair’s assertion that
Guantanamo amounts to an anomaly.
Conference therefore calls on the leadership of the
Liberal Democrats to:

1. Make their support for the recommendations of
the UN widely known both within and outside
parliament.

2. Make a firm commitment to raise key objections
with the US Embassy in London.

3. Keep up the pressure on the Prime Minister to
distance himself and his administration from
Guantanamo.

You get the idea.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i'm not sure i like cycle paths either. you don't always have right of way on them and it gives drivers more ammunition to say we don't belong on the road.

Rather, drivers should have clear instruction in the highway code that they are to give at least 3 feet clearance and anyone caught not doing so should be prosecuted.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Hmm.. this has spurred me into campaign letter/email writing again. Thanks. Its been a while. :biggrin:

I'll be looking at contacting both parties within the next few days and outlining some of my concerns and ideas such as:

-putting presure on both the Police and the CPS to deal with road safety cases more strictly

-more red light cameras over junctions.

-a complete shake down on how we deal with pedestrian and cycling issues in this country

-parking issues that cause conflict

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
What did it say?

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
marinyork said:
What did it say?

Very little sadly as theres a 1000 character limit. :sad:

Essentially:
-pressure on Police and CPS to deal with road safety issues more effectively, and aggression issues
-strategy for encouraging car pooling

cant remember the rest.. I'm tired and it was over an hour back. :smile:

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
re: car pooling you can exert pressure on people wrt travel plans, sometimes organisations/councils don't really get enough scrutiny on this. Normally people are sympathetic and up for stuff, they just need encouragement and to be kept tabs on.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
marinyork said:
re: car pooling you can exert pressure on people wrt travel plans, sometimes organisations/councils don't really get enough scrutiny on this. Normally people are sympathetic and up for stuff, they just need encouragement and to be kept tabs on.

Yeah I need to contack work about pooling, too. Its getting silly again (weird why warm weather means more cars at my place, cant imagine they take on summer staff), cars on crossings, too close to fire exits again..

To me car pooling is a great idea, and other people can often pay for your fuel. :laugh:

AnotherEye

There is a problem with separating cycling policy from general motoring policy. Lib Dem Norman Baker is now the minister responsible for cycling but it's no good adding cycle lanes. He has to influence his Secretary of State. If it were me I would say "stop building ring roads that attract retail parks that attract more miles driven and deplete local high streets and markets".
It's a root and branch thing, a paradigm shift. How can we stop people believing that the car is the only option?
Next, stop spending money on cycle lanes and other counter productive facilities.
drivers-give-less-space-to-riders-in-cycle-lanes-says-research
Spend the money on traffic police, there is little wrong with the law; it just isn't enforced.

mangaman

Riverman said:
I'm a member of the Liberal Democrats. Finally we're in government, even if the circumstances (a Conservative coalition) are not exactly ideal.

I think herein lies your problem - you may think you're in Govt but the Tories are making all the big decisions.

Clegg is like a glove puppet - I haven't heard him say a word of substance.

I'm sure Charles Kennedy / Paddy Ashdowm would have been more forecful as deputy PM than Clegg. The Tories are basically acting as if they won the election (they didn't) because Clegg has just shut and become like a minor Tory minister.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
mangaman said:
I think herein lies your problem - you may think you're in Govt but the Tories are making all the big decisions.....

Agree completely. The last lot were by no means radical, but scrape away Cameron and Bozza's little trips around the capital and you'll discover the Conservatives are deeply reactionary when it comes to transport policy. I just don't believe the Lib Dems have the suction or the will to fight a battle over this.

Top Bottom