Mojo

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
I think I may have found my mojo again, lost it start of the year ( lost it really when I my Dad passed ) , only managed just under 700 miles this year so far. Had easy access to a car as well and with crap weather in Jan and Feb I chickened out frequently. Dodgy knee and back that's plagued me ( any excuse really ). Fast forward to this lockdown and again it was easy to jump in the car and drive to work. However with decent weather and a new found determination I'm ready again ! Last years mileage won't be broken but lets see how far I can get.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I think I may have found my mojo again, lost it start of the year ( lost it really when I my Dad passed ) , only managed just under 700 miles this year so far. Had easy access to a car as well and with crap weather in Jan and Feb I chickened out frequently. Dodgy knee and back that's plagued me ( any excuse really ). Fast forward to this lockdown and again it was easy to jump in the car and drive to work. However with decent weather and a new found determination I'm ready again ! Last years mileage won't be broken but lets see how far I can get.
You sound very similar to me. Lost dad end of 2018 and struggled through last year, including falling out with my brother who is my only close blood relative left now. That long wet spell was tough, but even with Covid 19 hanging over us, I am starting to feel more positive too. This weather is helping of course! :sun::bicycle:

Slick

Guru
The weather is definitely helping that's for sure. I'm still cycling in to work and managing a few shorter rides with Mrs Slick but not sure of how it will effect my usual annual mileage as there have been no big rides at all this year. Well done on getting your mojo back, I think we can all suffer a bit of a dip from time to time. 👍

Gunk

Guru
I’ve found that after a long absence the most successful method is to do some shorter rides just to start enjoying cycling again, about 8-10 miles to start with, don’t bother looking at average speed, just enjoy the ride. Then start extending the distance to 15 and then 20. Once 20 miles is comfortable, extending to 35+ becomes fairly easy. My other tip would also be to have a couple of rest days, especially as your legs get older!

Maverick Goose

A jumped up pantry boy, who never knew his place
Take care, good luck and ride on:okay:.

12boy

Guru
I am doing good to get 20 miles a day in. Some days it may be only seven and if the weather is too bad, zero. I don't see this as a contest with anyone, especially not my younger self, but as a gift to myself. Keeps me healthy and is actually like a meditation. Been riding this way for over 40 years and if I miss my bike time I get mean and nasty. Perhaps meaner and nastier. Keep at it and soon enough it wil lbe hard to go without a daily ride to make you feel right.

a.twiddler

Veteran
I am doing good to get 20 miles a day in. Some days it may be only seven and if the weather is too bad, zero. I don't see this as a contest with anyone, especially not my younger self, but as a gift to myself. Keeps me healthy and is actually like a meditation. Been riding this way for over 40 years and if I miss my bike time I get mean and nasty. Perhaps meaner and nastier. Keep at it and soon enough it wil lbe hard to go without a daily ride to make you feel right.
I like that comment about not competing with your younger self. I think I need to accept that too, that I can't do what I could do 35+ years ago. No point overdoing things and making yourself ill, enjoy what is, be more accepting, and live for the present. Doesn't mean I can't improve how far I can go, but have to be realistic. Maybe see it as a form of contemplation, rather than being goal driven.

Top Bottom