Monday commute hell

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Yes - it's definitely clear how many people don't work on Fridays, as the roads are much quieter. Personally, if I was going to work a 4 day week, I'd take Mondays off.

Andrewwright

Monday’s definitely worst, by Tuesday every one is becoming more aware of surroundings and not driving in that start of the week foggy cloud mindset. I find the young mothers rushing at the last minute who have left there brains at home, leaving to late to put them on, overtaking between you and traffic islands, constant horn pipping when you don’t instantly disappear into the distance when the red lights change to amber, overtaking immediately before the left turn they need to take, and the speed, no bike awareness whatsoever ever, in fact no other road user awareness whatsoever ever. They don’t even think another child could be peddling to school, though this is now unfortunately rare in this country, unlike the Netherlands where over 50% of children cycle to school, and 100% of drivers are aware of this fact.

Last edited:

chriscross1966

Über Member
It wasn't too bad this morning in Oxford, a massive crash on the A34 had closed down access to the city so the centre was surprisingly light traffic at 7:20, normally it's hellish.... Of course, to the folks sat in the traffic jam I guess it was...

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
It wasn't too bad this morning in Oxford, a massive crash on the A34 had closed down access to the city so the centre was surprisingly light traffic at 7:20, normally it's hellish.... Of course, to the folks sat in the traffic jam I guess it was...
Pop onto local social media and it'll probably be full of people wanting the A34 turning into a motorway or double-decker or some such public health disaster to that they can have some lanes open for other people to crash in.

chriscross1966

Über Member
Wierdly the run into Oxford on Friday is way better than the other days, guess a lot of folks don't work or take it off, the one day of the week that the 6:05 out of Swindon will get into oxford in time to catch the 7:30 out to Yarnton, normally have to catch the 7:50...

Tin Pot

Guru
Monday mornings and Friday evenings are the worst for angry driving imo.

If you’re cycling this Friday evening in particular, be wary.

Next week will be a doddle though :smile:

Top Bottom