Monitors for PC & TV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BearPear

Veteran
My kids are after new TVs for Christmas and the budget is around £200 each.

I have researched and narrowed it down to a Samsung and a Panasonic, both are 22" and HD ready. Both also can be used as PC monitors and for gaming etc. My question is this - if TV monitors can be used for PCs can PC monitors be used as TVs?

My son has a quality 24" LCD HD computer monitor and I kind of can't see the point in buying him a TV as well. Plus, my daughter only uses her TV for DVDs as she watches Sky and iPlayer on her laptop. Neither of them has TV reception in their rooms.

I am guessing that a PC monitor doesn't have the necessary gubbings inside it to receive & process a TV signal - is that right? Therefore, as the kids only watch DVDs, stuff off the internet and gaming, would a monitor be better (and cheaper!) Have I just answered my own question here!!

Edited to add...if I go for a PC monitor what cables do I need to hook up the laptop (and what the chuff shall I get my lad since he already has a monitor?!!)

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you have a TV card in the PC then any monitor should receive a picture as far as I know.

Firestorm

Veteran
There are internal and external TV tuners available for PC's (Hauppauge Win TV for example) which just need hooking up to an aerial, this will prevent there being two screens in each of the kids rooms .

however if there is , as you have said, no TV reception in either of their rooms, A PC TV receiver or even a bog standard telly will be of little use without the reception

I have a Leadtek WinFast tv card in one of my bases, having started out with the old analogue version of it a few years back. You install it and its software, connect the aerial, scan for channels and that's it.

Really useful if something comes on tv I want to watch while on the computer - I just start a little screen in the corner of the monitor and continue.

Some models also have pvr functions - mine does - and the quality is ok. You can set up a favourite list to avoid channels you don't want etc. It's a bit more fiddly than a digibox to use, but the quality is good enough for everyday viewing IMO. I don't use half the features on it really.

Edit - we use a loft-mounted aerial for the tvs upstairs - it has an amplifier and serves 3 tvs fine.

Another alternative, if he has a PS3 is PlayTV; 33 quid at Amazon (be aware there is a paid for software upgrade you'll want as well, from Playstation Store @ about 7 quid).

It turns the PS3 into a twin-tuner PVR.

I use it.

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
To get any kind of reception at home upstairs they would need a new aerial - our aerial wouldn't service 2 further sets without a major boost. The reception where we are is pretty shocking, we only watch digital because a regular signal gives such poor quality. We still aren't in the catchment for Freeview yet either.

We bought a cable today that connects the laptop to an external monitor and will investigate a TV card for son's PC.

Thanks for the advice guys

PaulSB

Legendary Member
As you have twice said there is no TV reception in the upstairs of your house I don't understand why you're considering buying new TVs? Most kids want them in their bedrooms. We do suffer from a similar problem and I've found the Amplified One for All Ultra Flat from Argos very good - http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5347380/Trail/searchtext>INDOOR+AERIAL.htm

OP
OP
BearPear

BearPear

Veteran
As you have twice said there is no TV reception in the upstairs of your house I don't understand why you're considering buying new TVs? Most kids want them in their bedrooms. We do suffer from a similar problem and I've found the Amplified One for All Ultra Flat from Argos very good - http://www.argos.co....DOOR+AERIAL.htm

I know it sounds odd - they have TVs now but only use them for DVDs and the Xbox etc. This is what lead me to consider that a PC monitor would be a better option.
I doubt that a portable aerial would get much more than fuzz on a tv here, but thanks for the suggestion (it's a shame I can't borrow one to test!)

Top Bottom