Mont Ventoux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I already have a feeling I'm going to regret this, but anyway...
I'm planning a short trip to Provence next May to do the big scary thing. Probably staying in Sault and taking the (comparatively) easy way up. Well, you still get the hard bit after the chalet. Has anyone here done this climb? I've done the Colombiere (a couple of years ago) and didn't walk too much. Or would I be best off scrapping this idea now?
Before anyone asks, I plan on losing a couple of stone (!) beforehand and could probably stand to lose another couple. I'm currently fit enough for 75 hilly miles without losing the will to live.

You gotta aask yourself one question, punk... Do you have a tripple? Well do ya?

Let's get the killer post in early.

"I'm 74, and took up cycling last year. I'm 5'5" and weigh 23 stone. I did Ventoux without difficulty on a fixie once I'd disconnected the caravan."

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Patrick Stevens said:
Let's get the killer post in early.

"I'm 74, and took up cycling last year. I'm 5'5" and weigh 23 stone. I did Ventoux without difficulty on a fixie once I'd disconnected the caravan."

You're thinking of Mont Ventilator, I think:biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I went to ride it under the 100F midday sun with a 30x25 triple and lightweight bike...I got plenty of practice the week before on other big steep long climbs, but not under the same heat and humidity. From Bedoin I managed to get almost to Chalet Reynard before the wife decided I was not looking too good, and I agreed. The heat and the 3.5 hour drive to get there killed it for me.

It is a long slog, but not too steep, in cooler conditions it would have been a good climb, in the high mid-day windless heat, and humidity I found it a nightmare.

Still, wifey drove me to the top where I descended th mountain at an average of 40mph and hitting 49mph on the straights....good brakes required.
Gonna go and do it again!

FF - only 49? Descending to Maulacene I touched 50mph for the first time ever (on a bike).
Doctor, you've got to go up from Bedoin 'cos that's the TdF route. It's not easy but it is do-able - I'd agree with Jacomus though.
Get the card from the Tourist office in Bedoin, and stamp it in the machine there and at the top for a record of your time and a souvenir. And don't worry if your wife beats you by 2 minutes!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Stick on a Giant said:
FF - only 49? Descending to Maulacene I touched 50mph for the first time ever (on a bike).
Doctor, you've got to go up from Bedoin 'cos that's the TdF route. It's not easy but it is do-able - I'd agree with Jacomus though.
Get the card from the Tourist office in Bedoin, and stamp it in the machine there and at the top for a record of your time and a souvenir. And don't worry if your wife beats you by 2 minutes!

I got held up by some plonker in a 4x4 who seemed determined not to let me by...for a while, but once past had missed some of the best straights for top speed. I'll settle for 49 for now!

It's a great hill, I'm still pissed that the heat beat me-up so badly, the only consolation was all the other beaten-up riders I saw.
I'm planning my return.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
You'll be fine from Sault. In May, the weather can be anything so you will have to gauge start times / clothing etc on a day by day basis. Don't stint on clothes for the descent if it is at all cool - it's a long way back down.

The only other thing to watch is the small rise back up into the town of Sault. It's only short, but when when your legs are empty and have been idle for the entire freewheel down, that 200 metres can catch you out!

papercorn2000

Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
What is the common wisdom on letting a little bit or air out of the tyres for the descent? I hear it bandied about a lot, but have never come across anyone who has done this!!

Never heard that! Although, getting a blow out due to excess heat from braking tends to stick in my mind as I get older!

Top Bottom