Montague Paratrooper Pro 2017 Review

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grendel

Veteran
Montague Paratrooper Pro Folding Bike
The Paratrooper Pro by Montague is the upgraded version of the Montague Paratrooper folding mountain bike (reviewed HERE). The original is more basic, and in line with its military heritage comes in olive green. This version still has 26″ wheels and comes in a dark matt grey, but it’s not just a fancy paint job that sets it apart from its little brother.

montague-paratrooper-pro-10.jpg
The “Rackstand” provides a relatively stable platform, but has to be unloaded to allow it to be used.

There have been a few significant changes to the paratrooper range since I last bought one. All five bikes designated as “Paratroopers” have been fitted with a new lock/release mechanism for the frame. Rather than pulling a lever up on the top tube to release before pushing it down to free it, this one is mounted underneath. A large spring release catch is rotated outward, before pushing it forward; this releases the frame and it then folds in the same manner as older models. It also comes fitted with a folding front mudguard, a rear mudguard being integrated into the stand.

montague-paratrooper-pro-15.jpg
Relocated folding release mechanism

montague-paratrooper-pro-9.jpg
Folding mechanism, opposite view

Two of the range, the Paratrooper and the Paratrooper Pro now come with integrated folding pannier racks which double up as a stand, or “rackstand”. The stand is secured by a quick release below the seatpost, it then swings down and under the back wheel, providing a stable platform for the bike to stand on. This feature is especially useful for storing the bike, as secured properly, it is less likely to fall over. On the down side it adds to the weight of the bike (2lbs heavier than the older model) and it’s not really practical to use it when it’s loaded, so I’ve added a kickstand to the chain stay. I like the fact this now comes as standard on these models, as I used to have to bolt on a seat-post mounted rack which wasn’t exactly ideal. This however is quick to release, easy to use and secure. I’ve used it with fully laden panniers and even on really rough ground it has felt totally secure.

montague-paratrooper-pro-3.jpg
Rackstand release lever

montague-paratrooper-pro-11.jpg
Rackstand detail

The Paratrooper Pro’s 27 speed shimano gears provide a greater range than the the Paratroopers 24, and this came in handy on a recent bikepacking trip where I made good use of pretty much every gear, top to bottom.

montague-paratrooper-pro-4.jpg
Shimano gears. Note the velcro retaining strap, used to hold the frame together when the bike is folded.

The suspension can now be locked out to give a smooth fast ride on roads, or opened up to provide up to 100mm travel off road. I found this to be fine in use, having used it on off road trails, hillsides and other uneven terrain. It’s more than capable of handling rough tracks and is ideal for gaining access to remote hills and bothies.

montague-paratrooper-pro-8.jpg
Front Disc Brakes

montague-paratrooper-pro-6.jpg
Rear disc brakes

On the positive side this bike allows you to transport it in a car, train or boat with ease. It can be assembled with minimum fuss and you can go from packed to on the road in just a few minutes.

montague-paratrooper-pro-12.jpg
The bike has a fairly narrow profile.

montague-paratrooper-pro-13.jpg
Front view

On the negative side the handlebars are narrow and tapered, providing limited room for accessories, and what room there is is often tricky to use, as many of the accessories which fit onto handlebars don’t like the tapering and tend to work loose. The seat post has a tendency to slip downwards too, despite the quick release being really tight, while the front mudguard rides a little too close to the tyre, and does occasionally work it’s way down to rub on the tyre.

montague-paratrooper-pro-16.jpg
Fully laden Montague Paratrooper Pro with Ortleib Panniers and Seat Pack

For bikepackers the limited handlebar space is certainly an issue, but more concerning is the huge top tube which prevents the use of most types of frame packs, limiting you to using a more traditional pannier set up.

In use it’s a comfortable enough ride, and fully laden I found I can cover reasonable distances with the bike fully laden, which remained stable and fairly easy to handle. Folding the bike is straightforward and the stand makes it so much easier. On my last outing I boarded a full train with it and was able to strip the panniers from it and pack it away into a bike bag while being thrown around with the movement of the train. If you are looking for a full size folder with load carrying capacity and off road capability then this is probably as good as you can get off the shelf. One thing to note is that these bikes are imported, so you can expect to experience a wait in getting one delivered.

Current RRP: £1199

Full review at :https://airdrierambler.wordpress.com/reviews/cycling/montague-paratrooper-pro-folding-bike/

Top Bottom