Month Behind ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

Lot of talk in this part of the world about the Daffs being a month behind cos of the cold winter. Just been comparing last years log to this years and mileage is down a bit. The interesting thing though is Im 5lbs heavier this year than last at the same point of time. Diet s the same and other than acouple of hundred miles evrything else seems to be equal. So im thinking must be the body s reaction to the cold weather. Thats what I hope it is, anybody offer an explanation.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
yep, that'll be what it is, my body reacted severely to the cold snap, maybe I have some Eskimo blood:biggrin:

Trek Trauma Chris

lukesdad said:
Lot of talk in this part of the world about the Daffs being a month behind cos of the cold winter. Just been comparing last years log to this years and mileage is down a bit. The interesting thing though is Im 5lbs heavier this year than last at the same point of time. Diet s the same and other than acouple of hundred miles evrything else seems to be equal. So im thinking must be the body s reaction to the cold weather. Thats what I hope it is, anybody offer an explanation.

Could be your metabolism, as we get older it slows down, and perhaps last year you did more hill's or sprints and therefore used up more calories

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Thought about metabolism but previous years have been pretty consistent except one where I was very ill. Rides and other data other than temp. also fairly consistent can only put it down to the cold, and the body going into a similar state as in starvation mode when your not consuming enough calories.

Sounds silly but maybe a few more calories may reduce weight in this instance.

Trek Trauma Chris

lukesdad said:
Thought about metabolism but previous years have been pretty consistent except one where I was very ill. Rides and other data other than temp. also fairly consistent can only put it down to the cold, and the body going into a similar state as in starvation mode when your not consuming enough calories.

Sounds silly but maybe a few more calories may reduce weight in this instance.

Another reason, if you weight train is that replacing fat with muscle put up your weight, as muscle is heavier than fat.

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Trek Trauma Chris said:
Another reason, if you weight train is that replacing fat with muscle put up your weight, as muscle is heavier than fat.

God forbid , dont do weights:biggrin:

ASC1951

Guru
lukesdad said:
Diet s the same and other than acouple of hundred miles evrything else seems to be equal. So im thinking must be the body s reaction to the cold weather. Thats what I hope it is, anybody offer an explanation.
Physics hasn't altered. You will have eaten slightly more and exercised less. All animals do this automatically in cold weather.

jimboalee

lukesdad said:
Neither has Biology:biggrin:

Nor chemistry.

Fiona N

Veteran
Up in the Lakes we've had a lot of cold but dry and sunny weather since Christmas so I've actually been out on the bike more often than in previous years (although Feb was good last year as well). This means mileage and time on the bike is well up and I can see that in base fitness (resting HR and HR to maintain 200watts on the turbo). The downside is that I've spent less time on the turbo working through an unexciting but efficient training plan so I've lost top-end power compared to more wet and miserable years.

On reflection - I'd rather have the time on the bike in the sunshine even if it's -5C than have to force myself onto the turbo four or five times a week ;)

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Lucky old you:smile: except for the last two weeks we ve had ice sleet and snow it really has been cold here and still no Daffs !:smile:

Bill Gates

lukesdad said:
Lucky old you:smile: except for the last two weeks we ve had ice sleet and snow it really has been cold here and still no Daffs !:smile:

My fitness is well down. On the other hand it doesn't matter a jot whether I race sooner or later if at all. My glory days are well behind me. :wacko:

OP
OP
lukesdad

lukesdad

Given the choice I d still prefer to race XC but as I get older its not the fitness that stops me its recovering from the crashes.

Top Bottom